General ANNUAL MILEAGES General

You are in... Forums > General > General > ANNUAL MILEAGES

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mercymercyred

Jan 10

ANNUAL MILEAGES

Just some thoughts on annual mileages. Whenever I look at bikes for sale I can’t help wondering why people bother to buy a bike. The average mileage seems about 3000 miles per year which is pathetic. In my mind biking will never become mainstream while people are so afraid of putting miles on their bikes as to retain its value to sell on I presume. Some bikes are works of art and just need looking and pondering over. But really bikes should be used for everyday transport, commuting, and short trips to the shops and just for thrill that bikes can provide.

I ride my 10 month old cbr600f everyday and always arrive at work with a big fat smile and in a better frame of mind than taking the car. I have covered 15000 miles so far and plan to try and get 100,000 miles out of the bike. When that mileage is reached it will probably be worth peanuts but I don’t care. I will still look after the bike and treasure it as any biker who only takes theirs out on a sunny day or bike meet.

Biking is only still a leisure pursuit but it could be so much more than that and more bikers on the road can only be a good thing for the industry and would solve so much of the congestion on the roads. I would love to hear from other high mileage riders who really do USE their bike as sometimes I feel like the only one whom actually put the miles in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 April 2012 08:27)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Whilst your enthusiasm for

biking is commendable, I think the bike industry would rather folk did a few thousand miles and traded their bikes in for new ones every year or two than having folk keeping their bikes for years till they have done a 100,000 miles! :winkie::winkie:

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

mileage

You are right there, as new bikes sales are pretty rubbish at the moment, mind you I do spend a bit on regular servicing and accessories dont you think we could do with riding a bit more though?

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Wrong forum................

Sorry Mate, I think you're posting on the wrong forum if you are looking for big milage riders.

perhaps try AdvRider or somewhere, unless you're put off places like that because they all ride bikes that are too big like BMW GS's?

Stop worrying about what milage others do and just get on with your own life?

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Tend to agree.

There are a few of us that do ride daily and rack up the miles. Many people will point to family commitments not allowing them to get out on the bike, others will mentions cost of consumables etc, others won't ride in incliment weather for fear of an accident/ not having the right clothing etc.

Whilst I do rack up the mileage and ride year round I'm almost certainly in the minority. Whilst biking is considered by many a social pastime rather than a significant form of day to day transport the government will believe its easier to ignore us.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
oldenuff

Jan 10

oldenuff says:

Annual mileage comparison

Given that family cars average around 8000 mile a year according to the AA 3000 on a bike is not so far away because you can't take a family on a bike. It is strictly one or two out of a family and in many cases ladies 'd'un certain age' are reluctant pillions so you are left with journeys that apply to a single family member. I use my bike whenever possible and struggle to get much over 3000 miles a year. 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Mileage

Most of the time I cannot commute by bike as I have to arrive at work suited and booted.  Also, my employer is kind enough to give me a company car and I see no need to see a winter out on two wheels just to prove I am a 'proper' biker.  I manage to get around 6,000 miles in each year - about 4,000 if I don't do a Spanish trip.  But that's still only 3,000 on each bike as I have two of them :tongue:       

Reply to this Topic
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

Milage

I'm like oldenuff - I use the bike when I can and struggle to get 3000 a year.

I rode all year round (got rid of the car) for about 4 years doing maybe 13-15k/year.  I loved it, but now I *need* a car - so I bought a wee £500 fiesta runaround, which is cheap to run and means I can carry more than one person without the need for body armour/helmet, pick up materials for the house and do dump runs etc etc.  What it also means now is that if it's bucketing down outside, I take the car to work ;)

I appreciate your enthusiasm, I was once the same, and still am to a degree.  More bikers would be better - part of me still wants to just bin the car again and go bike, but I can't, it's too useful!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Miles

Don't really know any more, fewer than I used to, that's for certain. I try to spread some of my miles over 4 bikes, + I occasionally borrow the wife's bike. I've still managed to put 25k miles on the Buell in 2 1/2 years but there were a couple of days last week when i would have taken the car if it wasn't off the road at the moment.

As Kam said, low milage riders mean there is always a healthy supply of low milage bikes which I see as a good thing.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Miles

Don't really know any more, fewer than I used to, that's for certain. I try to spread some of my miles over 4 bikes, + I occasionally borrow the wife's bike. I've still managed to put 25k miles on the Buell in 2 1/2 years but there were a couple of days last week when i would have taken the car if it wasn't off the road at the moment.

As Kam said, low milage riders mean there is always a healthy supply of low milage bikes which I see as a good thing.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Annual mileages.

When I first got into bikes I decided I couldn't justify the expense unless I rode every day and all year round. That really worked in terms of getting me beyond simply being able to pass the test. I lived in North London at the time and the bike was brilliant for getting around that congested city, and it was always fun too. The experience of riding in all conditions has stood me in good stead and even though I've lapsed a bit lately I have the skills to cope with any conditions.

I had a car at the time but when that went to the scrapyard I decided to go with two wheels only for two or three years and it wasn't a problem. The bike took me to work, to Tesco's and to the Mediterranean.

I moved house and changed my job. Again the bike was great for filtering and cut my commuting time in half. A cheap car fell into my lap, bought from a family member. The car was used mainly in bad weather and for big shopping so the bike mileage was only slightly reduced.

That car passed on, I bought another one (also from family) and I moved house and changed my job again. Now my commute wasn't significantly better by bike, in fact the dressing up and down, and warming of the bike made the commute slower, and that commute was virtually in a straight line down an A-road and dual carriageway. I bought a second bike (R1) with the intention of taking the ZX6 off the road and tidying it up a bit, but I don't have a garage and the R1 had problems which occupied my time. The car took over. I still commute by bike in summer and ride for leisure all year round but the car has taken over the the main transportation duties and my bike mileage has gone down drastically.

When I was a 24/7 rider I did feel a bit smug about it and although I miss it I don't feel bad about my reduced annual mileage because it's a practical decision and I'll resume when practicality dictates. I still ride frequently, when it suits me.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices