You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > First Big Bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

rage33

Apr 12

rage33 says:

First Big Bike

I know this has been asked so many time before so I apologise now. But I need an answer more suited to my personal requirements.

I am about to do my DAS and not sure what bike to get when I pass.

Im not to worried about top end although idealy I would like to be able to keep up with mates Ninja, GSXR and CBR. Also want good torque and not slugish pulling off. Easy to ride and learn on and nothing too heavy either.

The 2 that have caught my eye are the Hornet and SV650. What are the pros and cons of each. And any others you can think of that would suit my needs? My budget for the bike will be around £2000.

If i was to buy new I would love a Daytona 675 but dont think that would be wise for a first bike.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 April 2012 16:18)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Other alternatives

to the Hornet / SV: Bandit 600 / 650, CB500 Honda, Kawasaki ER5 / 6 (or indeed, the old ZR7), Yamaha FZ / FZS 600 / XJ6.

It isn't necessary to have a fully-faired sportsbike as a first bike (indeed, as you state, it can be a bad idea).

First off, you need accurate insurance quotes: Ninjas / GSXR's and the like are going to be quite hefty in this regard.

Secondly, avoid faired bikes: chances are you'll drop it early on, and a faired bike will have tears in your eyes when you do.

Thirdly, your £2k budget: bear in mind you'll need decent kit, and decent security. There's no point spunking loads of cash on a bike and using a cheap helmet or chain to tie the bike up - thieves like bikes too. Also, will your budget STILL be £2k after that lot?

Also, your size / weight: if you're tall, you may find some bikes cramped, if your short, you might struggle getting your feet down at traffic lights etc.

When you're starting out, you need a machine that you can get on with - not an uber-powerful 2-wheeled missile that ties itself in knots at the first error.

Reply to this Topic
rage33

Apr 12

rage33 says:

first big bike

My 2k budget is just for the bike. I already have full leathers, gloves, boots and lid. 

As for my size and weight im 5'9" and weigh 13stone.

Out of the bikes you have listed what would you is best for a first bike that ticks al my boxes?

Right from the beginning I was drawn to a honet. Sat on one and loved the riding position but actually riding one may be different.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

A hornet is fast enough

my mate has a zx6r and I keep with him no bother its as fast as his up to 100mph and you dont need to be reaching them sorts of speeds on the road. Its low and so gives you confidence. The hornet also has the same riding position and height as a cb500 or er5 and is of similar weight so its easy to jump on after your das. Plus i am not crippled after a long ride like my mate is. It'll fly when the revs are above 7k but below that its sedate so easy to get used to when you first get on it as itll feel alot faster than the das bike. If you fit crash bungs itll drop with minimal damage and insurance is good compaired to a faired bike. Its also forgiving handling bike. I'm 5"8 so similar height and its comfortable.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

hornet

The cans on the hornet look horrible and the SV sounds much better.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices