You are in... Forums > General > General > Thermostat

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

Thermostat

Hey, Ive just had my 1999 R6 in the garage to have some work done and when I went to collect it, the mechanic told me that he has done the work I had requested, however when the bikes engine temperature reaches about 70 degree's it cuts out. I was already annoyed at the fact that it took him 2 weeks to balance the carbs and change the fork seals, let alone the £350 he charged me, so I took it home.

Before I left he told me he thinks its something to do with the thermostat, he said it looks as if the owner before me had fiddled about with it, as instead of the fan automatically coming on when the bike got hot, there is a switch which you have to maually operate in order to switch the fan on. I didnt want to take his word for it because he'd already bullsh*tted me and ripped me off, so when I got home I checked the oil levels and coolent. I completely drained the oil and put in fresh and the coolent was already near enough bone dry, so I cleaned the coolent system and filled with fresh. I then started the bike and it was running fine, it got to around 90 degree's and then cut out. To me it sounds more like fuel starvation, as it stutters and I can put on full revs and it only goes to around 2000rpm while still stuttering, if I let go of the revs it cuts out. Also when I was bringing it home from the garage and it cut out, it cut out at 55 degrees not 70, and its cutting out at random temperatures which leads me to think its not the thermostat. Has anybody had any problems like this, or have a good idea what it could be? I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks guys :)

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 April 2012 13:26)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cut out stops

More info really,what was wrong with the bike before it went into the garage? What work has been done? 

Reply to this Topic
DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

jaffa90

Basically it was running fine and some little sh*t started p*ssing around with my tick over and the bike would not then start, after spending some time trying to sort it out I couldnt rectify the problem, so I took it into my local dealer and he balanced the carbs and fitted fork seals. Now its cutting out, but it wasnt before. The mechanic told me he thought it was a problem with the thermostat but this to me doesnt make sence. :unsure:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

R6

Jaffa is right, more info would help. However, based on what you have said I doubt very much that the problem is being caused by your thermostat or overheating. It is not that unusual for some owners to override the thermostat on their bikes and fit a manual switch.   This is easy enough for you to check - look for a switch that shouldn't be there or appears out of place and see it it turns the cooling fan on.

With respect to the fuel starvation - the machanic would have needed to lift the tank in order to balance the carbs.  I suspect that he may have either caught or pinched a fuel line or breather tube when the tank was replaced.  Again - easy enough to check, just lift the tank and have a look.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

Marcus

Yeah the fan switches on when I use the manual switch, the only thing i cant understand it how it can be fine on minute then suddenly its not :/ my first thought would be to clean the carbs incase they are full of crap, but surly the mechanic would have done this as it would be stupid to balance carbs without cleaning them first :L

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Carbs

No he wouldn't.  It is not usually necessary to clean carbs before balancing them and it is certainly not something that is automatically done as part of balancing.  Balancing is only an adjustment to make sure that all the carbs are running in sync.  Besides, carb cleaning is expensive as it requires removal, stripping and re-assembly. 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

First off how long have you had the bike?

Where is the bike kept? i.e. on the road, on the drive in a shed.

What work did you ask the mechanic to carry out?

How much labour did the mechanic charge to do the fork seals?

Did you ask for the carbs to be cleaned?                  You would not usually strip and clean the carburrettors if the customer requests them to be balanced.

It sounds like the rad fan switch needs replacing to start with, and it may be prudent to put in a new thermostat. Thus eliminating the known problems first.

Reply to this Topic
DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

Thanks for the comments guys

First off how long have you had the bike?

Around a Year

Where is the bike kept? i.e. on the road, on the drive in a shed.

Garage

What work did you ask the mechanic to carry out?

Fork Seals, Change of Relay because the back two indicators are LED and the front two are standard so they wouldnt work.

How much labour did the mechanic charge to do the fork seals?

5hours50mins at £30 an hour

Did you ask for the carbs to be cleaned?               

Nope

The fan switch seems to be working fine? It probably would be a good idea to fit a new thermostat however i dont really want to be buying things i dont need.

If i could get a list of things together of what it could be by looking at the symptoms then i can work through them myself like a check list until i find the problem?

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

It cuts out

But how long does it take before it can restart again? Straight away? 5 - 10 mins?....

Seeing as the carbs have been fiddled with then you gotta think that is the most likely culprit.. Does it cut out if you run it with the tank lifted?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

carbs

Did you ask the technician to balance the carbs because of an erratic tickover?

Reply to this Topic
DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

Cuts Out

It can cut out then i can leave it a few seconds and it will start again but thats rare, usually a few minutes before it will start again :-/

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle