You are in... Forums > General > General > First 650 at 56

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Olderbloke

Apr 12

Olderbloke says:

First 650 at 56

Passed test 2 years ago and bought a 125 scooter to go to work on. I really like the biker bit more than a car.

Now I want something bigger, bit more 'go' on dual carriageways etc.
Need some good advice.
I am 56 and really don't want a sports bike, so am looking in region of Honda Transalp, Versys or V Strom. I am 6'4" and the joints are starting to creak, hence choice of a taller bike.
I welcome your thoughts and my choice. I would like abs and ability to carry a top box. Bike will be used daily for commuting.
Thank you in advance:blink:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 April 2012 19:42)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mallic

Nov 10

mallic says:

First 650

You may like the Honda NC700S or NC700X for a first bike,good mpg figures being quoted.

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

How about

a Honda Deauville? Similar size to the strom with the benifit of built in luggage and shaft drive.

Reply to this Topic
Olderbloke

Apr 12

Olderbloke says:

First 650 at 56

Thank you for those suggestions. Think the nc 700 has not been out that long and perhaps maybe above my budget, though I am tempted.

I did not know whether the Deauville maybe a little too heavy for a new rider, had not considered it before.:smile

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

i know a few peeps

on here have had the Versys (versysboy, where did he go..?) and rave about them.  I would have thought a good bet, lightweight, nice upright position and reliable. :smile.....you might want to consider a taller or 'flip' screen though.

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

OB

I have a 2009 V-strom 650, its a brilliant bike.  275-285 out of a tank at steady motorway speed.  Handles well, very comfortable, a very versatile piece of kit.  Will be selling shortly as Honda Blackbird wants the garage space. Will pm you when I get to that point

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What budget have you got?

If you haven't already, it's probably wise to consider insurance (although after 2 years, its less of a factor than for an absolute newbie).

Versys is probably a good choice - its based on the hugely popular ER6 so insurance should be quite cheap, easy on fuel and if I recall correctly, there is (or was) a Touring version available with luggage already fitted. Off-hand I don't know if it had / has ABS though.

Reply to this Topic
Englishman

Oct 11

Englishman says:

Versys

I'm on my first bike, and it's a 2010 Versys. I love it. Test ride one to see if it fits you, but I really can't recommend it enough. 300+ miles per tank, plenty of oomph, and an utter hoot to ride.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices