You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > GTR1400 Disc Wear

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

vfrtom

Jun 03

vfrtom says:

GTR1400 Disc Wear

I purchased a new Kawasaki GTR1400 in April 2010. At the 20,000 mile service. I was advised that the front discs were below the wear limit and required replacement. I was advised that the cost will be almost £700.Kawasaki  advised that this is normal wear and tear . My previous bike was a Honda Blackbird with 70,000 miles and it was still on the original discs. Although  the GTR is a heavy bike, I would not expect discs to wear in such a short time.  This is their flagship tourer and I would expect high mileage to be the norm with this bike. In 2010, the front pads were changed to accommodate the addition of ABS across the range. It appears that prior to this date, there were no instances of excessive wear, but since 2010, owners are experiencing excessive disc wear

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 April 2012 15:32)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

GTR1400

£700 for new discs - wow!!!  Can't believe that they are u/s after only 20k either. 

The moral of this story - stick with Honda :smile 

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Discs

Look at pattern discs like EBC. Or stick with the "worn" originals.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki GTR 1400

Hi Vfrtom and welcome to the site:smile

Unfortunately it seems like this bike is fraught with many faults which Kawasaki don't seem to acknowledge:huh:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=417290

£700 jeez, labour charges must be high over there:upset:

If this is true (Disc below wear limit) at 20,000 mile's there must have been a fault that has caused this?there should be very little wear(if any) at this mileage,i think i would also be asking your service centre to explain themselves and show you the wear they are talking about with a vernier or micrometer.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
garymcp

Jul 13

garymcp says:

GTR1400 Disc Wear

New Bike GTR 1400 in April 2013 with 3800 miles pads are shot and disc are scored and have been told it's wear ans tear! Motorway miles I may add as rear tyre will show!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle