Skip to content

General Throw over panniers? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Throw over panniers?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Throw over panniers?

I'm riding to Nice in summer.  Have a back box, but don't want hard panniers.  Are throw overs any good? How do they attach, and will they scuff the paintwork? 

Realise these are pretty dumb questions, but I have no knowledge of them and think I'll probably need a bit more room than I have but don't want to wear a backpack.

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 April 2012 16:25)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
slider72

Mar 05

slider72 says:

throw overs..

my only experience with these is watching my mates throw overs smoking away as they were rubbing on his can..one jumper with a hole in & a wasted pannier lol.

back pack for me with soft items in, unless my dad is out with me as he has fitted ones on his triumph.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

you should be O.K...

with those low pipes on the Blackbird mostly...I saw some good ones in a bike mag,but can't remember the name Barker/mann or some such,good size, roll tops (no flimsy zips ) and 100% waterproof material, no need for inners (or outers) and less than 100 quid a pair. I'll try and find out about them tomorrow. And no you don't want a back pack if you can help it.

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

could they

perhaps, oldish, have been these:

cameron barker

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I like them

I have leather throwovers (and no. They don't have tassels on) for the Harley. I have frames fitted to hold them away from the side of the bike. To fit the bags I undo the quick release bolt at the back of the seat, place one of those 99p non-slip mats on the top of the paintwork, hang the bags over and bolt the seat back on. It takes under a minute, if I can get the bolt undone easily.

If they weren't quick and easy to use I wouldn't bother. I like an easy life  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

roseyeric...

those are they. And they are well under a 100 quid.Nice and simple design, but not expandable.Still 60 litres total should be plenty for all but 'kitchen sink' packers.:smile

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

aye

they look difficult to fault for 70 notes

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Panniers?

Personally I think dry-bags are better, secured with a cargo net. An additional  rucksack is useful for things like money, phone, map, waterproofs, etc.

Reply to this Topic
skullydude

Nov 07

skullydude says:

givi

i use a set of givi throw overs...secured properly...ive never had a problem..use a bit of non-slip material  to save paint work marking

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Throw overs

I have a set of Oxford Sports soft paniers that I used before getting hard luggage and they are fine.  They swallow a lot of stuff and are secure and stable when properly fitted.  I would suggest that you get an Oxford protective blanket to go under the panniers.  These are made of rubber and not only stop them from slipping but also protect your bodywork without needing to cover it in tape.    

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Leg (sorry - throw) overs

I've got a set and they're great.  Mine have plastic waterproof outers, but those are a nuisance.  I simply pack things in plastic bags regardless (even if in the top-box).  My throwovers didn't leak anyway.  

Do buy one of those non-slip rubbery mats from Wilko's to protect your paint.  (And make sure and securing strings aren't dangling where they shouldn't.) 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices