Skip to content

Ask an Expert Military boots? Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Military boots?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Sparrow88

Apr 12

Sparrow88 says:

Military boots?

Hi everyone, I hope this question hasn't been asked too many times before! I have recently passed my CBT and bought myself a YBR125. I have all the clothing, including a pair of Oxford Bone Dry boots.

I have started riding to places I would normally drive, including Cubs (I'm a leader). I normally wear my hiking boots to Cubs, we're always in the forest etc, so wearing my bike boots when I'm there isn't really ideal but neither is carrying my hiking boots with me.

I've been looking at military boots but I don't want to forfeit too much on protection so I'm looking for advice from those who know :smile Cubs is about the only time I'd wear these boots; anywhere else I'll wear my Oxford boots. I found a couple of pairs and would like anyone's opinion on them: Magnum Panther and Magnum Classic.
A little info on the journey: it's about 15 minutes away through town and I rarely go over 30.

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 April 2012 17:11)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Boots

I have worn ex-para boots for years on bikes. I get them from the ex-military shops for £20 per pair. If you get the right ones, they have a goretex lining (waterproof), and they polish up brilliantly, so would be perfect for Cubs, and would even pass inspection :biggrin: (I did Cubs right though to being a cub leader).

I have unfortunately also crashed in them a couple of times and my feet have been undamaged. They are perfect for when you get to where you are riding, because they are VERY comfy to walk about in. I would recommend them to anybody.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Magnums

Wouldn't trust them for durability myself.

Lowa and Altberg are damn fine boots if you want to go down that route. I'd suggest combat boots which will have a nice solid ankle section. There are some which are more designed for tabbing, etc which are comfy but offer less protection.

Or you could look at the altberg motorcycle boots which are a mix of walking sole and motorcycle boot.

Reply to this Topic
Sparrow88

Apr 12

Sparrow88 says:

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys! A lot of my friends wear Lowa so I know they're really good. I think I'll have a look at those and Altberg as you've suggested.

I thought I would see if I could get away with Magnums because they're cheaper, but I don't want to sacrifice too much!
Luckily I don't need to worry about polishing my boots too often, you're supposed to get muddy at Cubs! :tongue:
Thanks again!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

just remember

you want those with a waterproof lining!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bike boots

My advice is wear the same bike boots all the time when riding.

My old man who was a driving instructor told his pupils to keep the same footwear when learning.

It`s all about the same feel.:smile 

Reply to this Topic
Sparrow88

Apr 12

Sparrow88 says:

So many options!

After following all your advice I've decided to stick to looking at Lowa and Altberg boots. I've had a look on their websites and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of pairs.

Unfortunately I'm not sure which style would be most suitable. Do any of you have an opinion on which of these Lowa boots would be better: Combat GTX  or Recon GTX?
I've also found an Altberg pair I quite like (Hogg All Weather Microlite)
I'll then make my decision on whether Lowa or Altberg fit me better, but want to make sure the Lowas I'm looking at are suitable for riding.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It's great I can come ask these questions here, I know I'll get decent answers! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
benspain_uk

Jun 06

benspain_uk says:

Boots

I've got a pair of ex-military gortex lines boots for stomping around in (£30 off ebay), but rarely use them on my bike at the toe thickness makes changing up a bit of a pain at times.

Excellent boots though - very comfy (pre-worn in!) and I've been well over my ankle in water and not a drop gets through!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Combats

every time.

Recon will be made for tabbing so more comfortable for walking in but not as robust.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices