Skip to content

SUZUKI Video: Simon Crafar powerslides the new Suzuki GSX-R1000 GSX-R1000

You are in... Forums > SUZUKI > GSX-R1000 > Video: Simon Crafar powerslides the new Suzuki GSX-R1000

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Simon Crafar powerslides the new Suzuki GSX-R1000

The new Suzuki GSX-R1000 is one of only two current superbikes (the other the Honda Fireblade) that doesn't have traction control. For most of us mere mortals, that means having to be a little more careful on the throttle than on an electronics-laiden Aprilia RSV4, or any of the other 1000cc superbikes. For 500GP winner Simon Crafar it means he can...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 April 2012 09:34)

Post a message in GSX-R1000

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

Impressive on both counts

This video is pretty damn cool for both parties involved.

Fantastic bike control and a clever marketing strategy from Suzuki. Can't imagine Honda selling the latest Fireblade in this way.

Simon convinces you, for a few seconds at least, that all rider aids are rubbish and you're a pansy if you have them. Fact remains though that it's safer and you'll go faster with them but it may well dilute the experience and simple fun of riding I guess.

As I'm not very quick I don' t particularly worry about going fast and therefore don't really need to max out the performance through electronics etc so it doesn't really bother me one way or the other to be honest.

I'd definitely be choosing between the Suzuki and Honda if I was in the market for a 1000cc sports bike as they're probably the last of their breed.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
trannie680

Jun 09

trannie680 says:

great footage

Don't you just wish you could ride like that! If I upgraded my 07 blade I think I would go for the new one. Electronics are a great safety aid and no doubt help you go faster on track, but I think there's something about being just you and the bike. I noticed in MCN group test this week, Alfio Tricomi  was half a second faster on the blade than Neil Hodgson was on the BMW ! Respect the power, enjoy the ride, whatever your on.

Reply to this Topic
Beer&Darts

Apr 08

Beer&Darts says:

Amen, Mr Crafar.

Reply to this Topic
Feakster

Mar 10

Feakster says:

*Gasps*

F*cking beautiful! I'm suddenly feeling the urge to book another track day.

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

OK.  A GP race winner (renowned for rear wheel steering - remember that?) powerslides a sportsbike without traction control.

Am I supposed to be impressed?

And amen, Japanese manufacturers are giving sportsbikes more mid range.  Thanks lads, we've only been asking for that for the last 15 years.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Track riding has no relevance to on road riding, the real world is not about getting the bike sideways like thats as 9 out of 10 would be shot over the bars in a heart beat. Mr Craffar has more talent in his pinky than 99% of normal riders, normal ride outs involve exploring ie not seeing the same corner twice and in the real world theres diesel, rain, mud, loose stone, trucks, cops, cameras and potholes. Again none of which is related to track riding. I dont mind one bit if my new bike has every safety aid to catch me if I fall, a new back, helmet and fairing is not a sign of being hard or cool.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Gee Ma are those real slides?

It could have been the 8 pints I had last night, it could have been the punch up outside the Rose & Crown, or it could have been the night in the cells. It wasn't the shocking hangover, It wasn't that I tried to impress a fit bird in the pits, it wasn't that I ignored the boring 'don't push too hard on the opening laps' warning at the trackday briefing. But I watched the Simon Crafar Suzuki promo - it looked easy - and I still smashed the bike up on the third lap!

Reply to this Topic
paulgs9

Dec 11

paulgs9 says:

terrific

seriously skilful stuff

don't try this at home kids !!

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

2WD

Cool video and I kind of get where they're coming from.  Instead of TC I’d like to see a 2WD Superbike. I remember a few years back someone put a hydraulic drive system onto the front of an R1, they reckoned it could lap a fair bit quicker than a standard RWD R1 in the rain. That would help with traction and wheelies. Seems like that might be a better way to go than building a bike with 200bhp then using electronics to slow it down again.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

I can do that!     On my Playstation that is.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices