Skip to content

Discuss This School tells 17-year-old: Stop riding in or we’ll expel you General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > School tells 17-year-old: Stop riding in or we’ll expel you

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

School tells 17-year-old: Stop riding in or we’ll expel you

A school has threatened to expel a 17-year-old if he carries on travelling in by motorcycle. Jack Deeley has twice been sent home from school for arriving on his Aprilia RS125. The Windsor High School and Sixth Form College says students are not allowed to travel by ‘motorised vehicle of any kind’ but Jack says other students park cars outside...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 April 2012 10:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Eugenios

Jan 12

Eugenios says:

How can this school expect to bring academic successes up if they restrain the kids from doing what they like? We didn't let our kids to school so some strangers can ruin their creativity and kill their freedom. Something should definitely be done about this.

Reply to this Topic
EthanCorneille

Oct 11

I don't see what's wrong with the kid having a bike. I have a full time job that requires having a motorcycle, so he's onto something good. Those teachers should modernize themselves a bit.

Reply to this Topic
Lisha

Feb 13

Lisha says:

The kid has done nothing wrong. If he can get hurt by riding a bike, so do the other children who drive. I believe this is a matter of understanding something you're not accustomed to. The teachers should resolve their differences and accept that we each have our right to choose.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

jack

let me get this right so Jack is under 18 so his parents are the ones to tell him yes or no to a bike not a school .. am i correct

point 2

Jack you park your bike on a public road not school property  correct

point 3

when you ride your bike you wear wet weather gear  or normal bike gear over the top of your uniform correct

Jack if we have 3 corrects they do not have a leg to stand on keep riding mate

ps if you do just ride in your school uniform.. they do have the right while on the way to and from school to help keep you safe ... if the school does not have a uniform policey fuk em

Ethan corneille

I don't see what's wrong with the kid having a bike. I have a full time job that requires having a motorcycle, so he's onto something good. Those teachers should modernize themselves a bit

thats the problem they are too modern wrap every one up in bubble wrap give i to minority  screw the rights of normal ppl .......welcome to the age of the hairyarmpit brigade

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Brutale

a point of clairification (or rather not) for point 1.

If you are under 16, schools duty of care requirements include something called in-loco-parentis, which in this instance means duty of care is the repsonsibility of the school for anyone not transported by a parent or parent approved guardian. Get hurt on a school bus and the school is liable.

Between 16 and 19 has something of a grey area. If you are a Sixth Form only college, not in-loco-parentis. If you are a school with a sixth form this is confused. If an incident happens on a school bus to a sixth former, the school is liable becuase it could have happened to someone under 16; thus a violation of duty of care. BUT, of course under 16s can't get a licence for a bike, so this muddies the issue.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Illegal biggoted behaviour

This student is riding their own PRIVATE vehicle to a public parking space near where they study and then walking in to the school grounds. Since the transportation is by private vehicle the school is not bound by loco parentis until the student crosses in to the school grounds. Therefore the Head is trying to force biggoted and prejudicial opinion on to an individual in contradiction to their legal rights.

The head has taken to threatening private individuals not involved with the school to refuse parking rights to private individual. Whilst the rider might be a student at the school, the school has no legal grounds to deny him legal rights outside of the school premises.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

anichol

please read what i said

ps if you do just ride in your school uniform.. they do have the right while on the way to and from school to help keep you safe ... if the school does not have a uniform policey  or you dont have wear it fuk em

you can be 117yrs old if you are under the schools control i.e student and in there uniform they have that duty of care under the schools act ...also while in uniform you represent that school so they have the rite

that info comes from one of the govners of Harrow high family freind staying with us in ozz

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Brutale

There is nothing in law stating that loco parentis is applicable when a child is off the school site on their own private transport but wearing school uniform (there have in fact been case laws to proof that loco parentis responsibilities do not occur until the student has crossed the school premises threshold).

The school may try to use the point that certain behaviour may reflect on the school if the student is wearing school uniform but that gives them no rights to stop a student doing something legal outside of school hours or on their way to or from school.

Additionally Loco parentis is not applicable to anybody over the age of 18. The school has a duty of care to have a safe environment but that's no different than for shops, work places etc.

Many schools will try to air on the side of caution and demand students toe their line but that does not give them the legal right to demand stuents are forbidden from doing legally allowed activities in their own time, irrespective of if they're wearing school uniform or not. If they feel that the rider is riding in an irresponsible. illegal manner which reflects badly on the school they have the right to obtain evidence and present it to the police. The school also has the right to refuse the student from taking their vehicle on to school property.

In this case the school IS overstepping its remit and thats based on prejudices of some of the staff, NOT on a legally substantiative position.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

spon m8

please read the law on it

if you are wearing a uniforn to go to school or a place of work you come under said care and rules  

armed forces if they are off camp but traveling to and from work in uniform they have to conform to army rules... same as a cop ,nurse, fireman, school kid , etc ..as i said if no uniform policy fuk em

spon why do you think that the state schools dropped the uniform policy ..

because it was there duty to see you get home or under some sort of care parental or family freind as safe as they can ...... thats why you used to get teachers at the bus stops and would drive around and report kids to the head...... but no uniform once outside the gate your on your own .....no law suits

a mate of mine has just been fired by JET after being cought smoking a joint out of work hours but while in full work uniform .. the offence happend on a friday afternoon he had just started a 2 week holiday .. it went to court and to make it breif in there clobber there rules ..fact and law

another freind was threatend with a sacking from ICI because he raced  bikes .. reason being that they did not want to waist money and time on him only for him to crash n get killed or disabled .. he saw a solicitor  lets just say he moved on  ..no win situation

as i said i have  a school gov here from Harrow High .. not forgeting that windsor is a private school as well... and they have there own rules

JACKIE BOY have you been pulling wheelies and burnouts  and broard sides  tut tut

my mate just spoke to one of the guvners there a he said that they do have a uniform policy strict one .. and as i said they are responsable for students in uniform from 8 to 108 yrs old and  even if an old master was in his old teachers robes they are responsable to and from school (allowing reasonable time)

they suspended a car driver 2010-2011 for doing dougnuts  and speeding up and down the street where the school is

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices