You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Bandit 400 electrical issues

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

Bandit 400 electrical issues

Hi all, i have a 400 bandit, still trying to get her running, have fitted new coils, after advice from here, however, i have a spark off only 1 coil, nothing from the other. This spark is weak, and intermittent, before i throw more money at what is proving to be an expensive purchase, what is more likely to be issue, igniter, signal generator, could it be rectifier/regulater, any advice guys please. I'm no mechanic have stripped this, done the head gasket and base gasket myself, refitted etc, having to learn as i go, but this is proving a real bugger.Thanks Paul

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 April 2012 11:29)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Can`t remember anybody on here telling you to replace the coils,also you had a good spark in this post,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=425240

What`s the battery voltage switched off,then on,when cranking?Also what voltage is there on the coils + spade terminals when cranking?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

Thanks

Theres a further post after i sprayed carb cleaner onto wiring, and after advice here i changed coils so why you think its relevent to copy and paste a post i'm well aware of i have no idea. Obviously thats a great help.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit year ?

Hi Pauldid

Did you ever get one of these?

http://www.carlsalter.com/pdfs/Suzuki_GSF400_Bandit_91-97.pdf

And as Jaffa says,can't remember anybody on here telling you to replace the coils?but you do say you cocked up the wiring yourself by spraying carb cleaner on it and presumably melting the wiring?

Good Luck,check the manual for testing parts:smile

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

sprayed

carb cleaner on the electrical block that connect wires from regulator to various other parts. From this point on i hav ehad no spark. or intermittent at least. but only on 1 side. yes i have manual but i was stuggling knowing what to test, hence i asked here what it could be.

Ta anyway

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As daft as it may sound

you've changed the coils - what state are your plugs / HT leads in? Are they new or old?

Whats your battery voltage?

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

Thanks Adie

ive put new Iridium spark plugs in and new HT leads with coils, battery is brand new bought it same time. Problem i have not being technical/mechanical, all of this is alien to me so trying to find answers but struggling.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

alien

Have you one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=lcd+digital+multimeter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I hope so because it will test components before buying new ones.

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

Thanks Jaffa

yes i have one, not saying i know how to use it, but i have one. Seems to be a drain on the battery somewhere too now, ive had to charge it after trying to start the bike yesterday but didnt do anywhere near enough to drain it. Have taken the fuses out of the headlights so their not on with ignition, not sure what cause of this is either, sadly looks like its time to take to bike shop. 

Thanks

Paul

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

multi-meter

Get a grip man,

plug in black lead in the bottom hole (com),

plug in red lead in middle hole (volts/ohms)

turn dial anti-clockwise to 20 dcv,

with red lead probe touch positive (red) terminal on battery,

with black lead probe touch earth (black) terminal on battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DT830B-LCD-Digital-Multimeter-Electric-Voltage-Tester-BATTERY-and-LEADS-/160732680715?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item256c6a120b

what have you got,

i hope your not taking the michael.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices