Skip to content

Discuss This Jerez MotoGP: Stoner takes first win of 2012 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Jerez MotoGP: Stoner takes first win of 2012

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Jerez MotoGP: Stoner takes first win of 2012

Reigning MotoGP champion Casey Stoner has taken his first race win of 2012 at Jerez today despite suffering from arm pump in the latter stages of the race. The start of the race saw some of the best racing seen in the premier class for a long time, with the first six riders all switching places as they battled for the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 April 2012 14:17)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Buffalo12

Apr 12

Buffalo12 says:

Pride???

Have read this forum for awhile & smiled at the rants, been amused at the pubescent adulation of heroes by those who dream of greatness & been anazed at some of the xenophobic comments...

IMHO Rossi is one of the greatest GP riders of all time. But so are Stoner & Lorenzo. There is no greatest of all time - it is impossible to pronouce such a title as time, age, rules, and technology changes the basis of comparision.

It is always sad when one of the greats is no longer competitive and I wish that it were that Rossi was there at the front. Maybe he can in the future but to me it seems that Rossi became wrapped in his own greatness and failed to see the truth. He tried to make the world (Ducati) behave according to his rules and being a mere mortal found that it couldn't. Rather than admit his fallibility he moaned and moaned until the his adoring Italian paymasters could take no more.

"Use Hayden's settings" they insisted & petutantly he did. At first it did not work but by the end of the race his skill was such that he was more than matching the pace of those in the lower order. Perhaps a small light may enter his mind. Perhaps he might see that if he can't change the world & all those in the world perhaps he could change himself.

Perhaps he might remember that it is teams that win the races and the championships. It is teams that design the bikes, it is teams that build the bikes, it is teams that analyse and tune, it is teams that end up smiling at the success that they have achieved. Individuals win the 100m sprint, the marathon, the high jump because it is only their own body they are working with - but even they cannot do it without a team to help them, to guide them, to advise them and crtiticise them when they are failing.

It seems to me that Mr Rossi has never been a team player and when he has won those members of the team have kept their quiet & accepted that they did not get the credit that they deserved. Now he is not in that arena there is no acrimony, there are no barbs, there is no character assasination and the times get faster and faster and the smiles of all in the paddock get broader and broader except for one: Poor, poor Mr Rossi.

But yesterday he swallowed his pride, he accepted others guidance, he did not stamp his foot in tantrum and with suprise, even though a lowly place at the end his garage had smiles....

Pride is a difficult thing to swallow and I just hope that if Mr Rossi can accept that he has to change then he too will run with Stoner and Lorenzo keeping the tired and the young up-starts at bay. Then we will all smile...

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

RobTZ

If Cal and Dovi have a lower spec bike then surely that makes Spies look even worse? Even if you only compare him to Lorenzo then it doesn't improve matters. Same bike, same tyres, but Lorenzo is much faster and not complaining about chatter. Actually from what has filtered down from the paddock the Tech 3 bikes are pretty much the same as the factory bikes. That is normal practice for satellite teams on a new bike. The factory aren't going to build two sets of different bikes. Where the bikes differ is in the available parts as the season goes on. As the factory develop new parts they pass they will pass them to the factory riders first, usually meaning that the gap between the factory and satellite bikes grows as the season goes on. The only exception to this is when a satellite rider does significantly better than a factory riders and the factory decide it is in their best interests to give the good parts to the satellite rider. You'll be able to see what happens there if the gap between Lorenzo and Cal gets bigger as the season goes on.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Nostro

Funnily enough I don't think that Hayden was bullshitting about the bike being set up OK. I think it was set up as well as he (or anybody else) was going to get it on the day, but that doesn't mean it was going to work as well as the Hondas and Yamahas. Like I say, credit to Hayden for staying in the fight as long as he did when he was playing with a crap hand. In terms of riding skill alone I think Rossi still beats Hayden, but it terms of being the better competitor I think Hayden has Rossi beaten hands down. I believe Rossi when he says Ducati didn't develop the bike the way he wanted, but so what? The flag has well and truly dropped, the bullshit needs to stop. He's paid handsomely to ride the bike that his team provide, so he needs to get down to it and ride it. Hayden OTOH is doing just that. Yes, he's said the bike isn't up there with the Hondas and Yamahas, but he's just got his head down and got on with it showing he's a bigger man and more of a true competitor than Rossi. Whining about tyres is beneath him.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

This 'Ducati didn't build me the bike I asked for'

line is utter utter tosh. Until such time Rossi elaborates and explains exactly what he requested, and where Ducati have failed or ignored him. Personally I'm pretty certain he hasn't articulated his requests beyond "Filippo build me the perfect racing GP machine - I cannot possibly compete on anything less".

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Buffalo Bill

If the Mountain won't come to Mohammed, then Mohammed must go to the Mountain.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Dovi's doing just fine so far on the M1

Thing is, I'm not really expecting a whole lot more from him.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Nostro

your italian accent sucks

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Nostro

I believe Rossi, but I think the problem is that he thinks nothing's changed in the last few years.

When Honda developed the RCV Rossi was the #1 rider by a huge margin so they developed the bike to suit him - it would have been dumb to do otherwise. By the middle of the 2003 season it seemed clear that the Honda was so far ahead of the rest that there was no danger from the opposition. As such they could see no point in giving Valentino the contract he wanted. It turned out to be a bad call, but...

When he went to Yamaha he was still #1 by a huge margin and at the time the Yamaha had a rep for being significantly worse than the Honda, as such Rossi got the bike he wanted. Remember Yamaha were nowhere in 2003. Yamaha developed the bike not only to suit Rossi, but called upon the experience of Rossi and his crew (remember most of the crew went with him, not just JB) to build a Honda beater. Sure Checa benefited from this, but Yamaha built the bike for Rossi. The point is, however, that it didn't make Rossi some sort of bike developing god. It meant Yamaha were not too proud to learn from Honda.

Sure Rossi was still winning in 2008 and 2009 (although the latter by a less comfortable margin). Would he have won in 2010 without his time out and recovery time? It's tough to call. Would he have put a 150 dent in Lorenzo with not only four extra races and who knows how many races not 100% fit? Nobody will ever know, but the early part of the season would suggest that it would have been a close season without Rossi's injuries.

IOW the available evidence was that, byt the time he signed for Ducati, Rossi was no longer the dominant rider he once was. As such he doesn't have the clout he used to have, but he clearly thinks he does.

So yes I believe him, but I don't believe he had any real chance of getting that. Had he moved to Ducati as the dominant rider then he might be talking sense. He didn't. As such he has no right to expect Ducati to build a Rossi special.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Dani

wasnt battling Cal...

Dani was not as fast as the front runners but had the measure of Cal, once he was past and couldnt make his break he maintained his distance. Cal looked on the edge and certainly for the first 5 or 6 laps it looked as though it was going to end is tears.

Still, looked good for Cal though as once he had settled he showed the maturity to ride for the points and not bin it

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Benny

The fact that Pedrosa was in a fierce battle with the Tech 3 team shows that he really had no chance of challenging Stoner or Lorenzo. Got to agree, on that showing it looks like he'll be following Stoner and Lorenzo home come the end of the year.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices