Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Clicking Speedo

Hi People,

Thought I would ask about a clicking speedo on my Yamaha YZF600, as due to the weather it looks like today is a maintenance day as opposed to a riding day. :mad:

At low speeds, my speedo clicks and the needle jumps up and down. At higher speeds it stops clicking and reads normally. Is this because the cable is sticking in the tube? 

If so, can I remove it from the front wheel end and lube it and push it back in? 

If so, could I use chain lube as a temporary measure? Or WD-40? 

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 April 2012 14:30)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Cable knackered

Sounds like your cable is shot mate and will probably break soon, lubing won't help.:doubt:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cable

SPEEDO CABLE:shock:,brings back memmories,why not remove from speedo and lube with oil? Gravity is cheap.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Knackered Cable?

According to the previous owner, the bloke who had it before changed the cable but didn't lube it, so I think it's a pretty new cable? 

Well I ended up doing it from the top even though it was more effort. How hard should it be to remove the cable from the wheel hub? 

It still clicks, more when I'm moving it backwards now though, and less when going forwards. I'm guessing if I give her a good run it should help the lube drop down more and perhaps sort it? 

Any other suggestions?

Mike

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cable

I used pliers at the wheel end to remove the outer cable and square drive before lubing from the top.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

You say

the cable has been changed - has it been re-routed properly (ie is there any sharp bends / twists / kinks in the cable)? Does steering lock affect it in any way (better or worse)?

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Cable

I'm fairly new to motorcycles but seems to have been routed properly and is in all of its clips etc. Steering doesn't seem to affect it. 

The clicking speeds up the faster you wheel the bike. 

Reply to this Topic
oddjob183882

Jun 10

oddjob183882 says:

Clicking Speedo Cable

Another possible explanation for what may have transpired is that when the original cable failed, the inner was merely removed and replaced.

However, it is probable that there is a kink, together with degredation in the "outer cable" and this is catching on the inner cable. Consequently, this would result in eratic speedo readings, together with a click as you have already described.

The solution may well cost another £10 or so for a pattern part, plus another 15 minutes to fit; just be mindful to ensure that you replace the speedo cable; both the inner & outer and all will be well.    

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

That

could be a very likely explanation. Thank you for your suggestion! Without sounding like a complete newbie, where's the best place to get a replacement cable? 

Regards

Mike

Reply to this Topic
oddjob183882

Jun 10

oddjob183882 says:

Speedo Cable Yamaha YZF600 YZF600-R Thundercat

Hi Mike

I'm not sure what is your specific model, but I've attached links for a pattern part @ £10.99

Speedo Cable Yamaha YZF600 YZF600-R Thundercat 1996-00

Speedo Cable Yamaha YZF600 YZF600-R Thundercat 2001-03

They are the same identical cable for model year 1996 to 2003, however if this is not correct for your bike, others are available.

Cheers :biggrin: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mikeyzf600

Mar 12

mikeyzf600 says:

Thanks

Thanks for sorting the links out Oddjob. Have just ordered one. I assume I lube it before I install the new one or are they pre-lubed? Hopefully it solves the issue. 

Cheers

Mike

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices