You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Honda Deauville 650 problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

Honda Deauville 650 problem

I was riding home on the M6 yesterday after a weeks touring round Scotland  when my rev counter went haywire them died. Shortly after, the bike backfired twice and the engine cut out leaving me to coast ( carefully) over to the hard shoulder. I had to get my breakdown company to bring me and the bike home as it would not start after this. I checked the bike again when I got home, all electrics seemed to be working (not rev counter) but the engine would not start - there was a loud clicking noise when I tried to get it going. I put the battery on charge overnight as I didnt think it could do any harm and it started first try this morning! With my limited knowledge I suspect a battery problem but I'd appriciate any thoughts as to what caused the breakdown and how I can avoid it happening again. Oh, and I had the bike fully serviced before going to Scotland to prevent this sort of thing. Bugger.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 April 2012 18:48)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

I recognise this from personal experience!

It sounds as though your charging system has broken. Test it by putting a voltmeter across the battery terminals and raising the revs to about 5000rpm. You should get at least 13.5 volts (DC). I suspect you'll get less. Basically you've been running on battery-only until it was exhausted.

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

^^^^ This ^^^

Check your regulator/rectifier as this once killed my battery on my VFR,which end in a similar outcome.

Hope you get it sorted.

unit.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

If your alternator is working

then your reg/rec is probably had it. Not familiar with the Deau, but reg / recs seem to be a Honda weak point in general (or were anyway).

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda Deauville 650 Year?

Hi Centuryfox

I to believe with the info you give its a reg/rec problem,you say the bike started after the battery charge but not the rev counter?is this still the case? is the rev counter still not working?and what year and mileage has your bike done?

Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
flookyk

Oct 10

flookyk says:

Check over

the charging system to make sure it's charging correctly and also the starter motor relay and the wires going to it.

Have a look over to www.deauvilleuk.org as well and post the question over there as someone will have come across it on the DV before (the fuel pump on the DV650 is a common problem)

Reply to this Topic
centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

Thanks

Hi, I've followed all advice above and cant nail down the problem. However I've just spoken to a motorcycle mechanic who belives it may be a bad connection to the ignition coil - apparently this would cause all the symptoms mentioned. 'm no mechanic, but I'm going to try accessing the ignition coil, which I think is under the tank and tracing the wiring back. Thanks to everyone who replied and I'll get back and update on what I find.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hmmm

Don't know who your mechanic is,or your telling him a different story from what you told here,but if what you say is true then there is no reason the bike would completely cut out if a wire came off a coils,see i say coils as there are two.Not only are there two coils on the NTV 650 but each coil has two HT leads and each head has two spark plugs.So if a wire came off a coil(or had a poor connection) the bike would drop a cylinder not just cut out.All the symptoms you describe say dead battery due to some kind of fault with the charging system.Unless for some bizarre reason you didn't post some other info?that you have now revealed to said motor cycle mechanic.:huh:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

connection

I hope you know a motorcycle sparky with more idea who can take voltage readings to test the battery/regulator/rectifier/alternator?

Also i cannot understand why you didn`t answer kcmc first post!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

98 reg

No, told him exactly the same - he seemed pressty sure it was caused by the ignition coil or a bad connection coming from it. However everyone else is of the same opinion as you re the charging system so I'm going back and testing it again. If I cant pin it down I might just order a new regulator and bang it on - cant hurt. Also, as jaffa 90 has mentioned I should have posted this info earlier - sorry, my mistake - the bike is a 98 reg, just a shade under 40,000. Also the rev counter worked when the battery was re-charged and has been working since.

Reply to this Topic
centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

My mistake, sorry..

Your quite right jaffa I should have posted a reply - my oversight. Ive replied now with the info. I have tried testing with a multimeter as suggested but got decent readings back so confused what to think now. I'm getting a mate to bring his meter in ( mine is a little old) see if the results are the same.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices