You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Honda Deauville 650 problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

Honda Deauville 650 problem

I was riding home on the M6 yesterday after a weeks touring round Scotland  when my rev counter went haywire them died. Shortly after, the bike backfired twice and the engine cut out leaving me to coast ( carefully) over to the hard shoulder. I had to get my breakdown company to bring me and the bike home as it would not start after this. I checked the bike again when I got home, all electrics seemed to be working (not rev counter) but the engine would not start - there was a loud clicking noise when I tried to get it going. I put the battery on charge overnight as I didnt think it could do any harm and it started first try this morning! With my limited knowledge I suspect a battery problem but I'd appriciate any thoughts as to what caused the breakdown and how I can avoid it happening again. Oh, and I had the bike fully serviced before going to Scotland to prevent this sort of thing. Bugger.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 April 2012 18:48)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"Tried testing with a multimeter

as suggested but got decent readings back".

Whats a "decent reading"?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

The bike was put right with charging the battery OFF the bike,

What`s the battery voltage at the bike and not charged up for a few hours?

What`s the voltage when cranking,when on tickover and at 5,000rpm with headlights on?

Remember to answer all questions if possible.:smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=lcd+digital+multimeter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

Meter readings

Hi Adier - see reply to jaffa 90 below - save me writing this twice!

Reply to this Topic
centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

Battery readings

Hi Jaffa90 - had the battery on charge overnight as hoping to use for work today so when measured  it was showing as 12.72 ( borrowed a mates shiny new Mulitimeter). However with engine running as you described at 5,000rpm voltage was 12.29. I took a reading again with engine off and came in as 12.44. Also the regulator was warm after just a few minutes of running, which from what I've learned from this forum does point to the regulator. Also thanks for the list of meters on ebay - old one has been dumped, mates has to be returned so will be ordering on today. 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

charging

Your battery is not charging when on the bike,

kcmc m/c tech down under first post says reg/rec,

why honda can`t make a decent one i don`t know,

you can be sure it`s that by checking the alternator output. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Reg/rec temperature.

"Also the regulator was warm after just a few minutes of running, which from what I've learned from this forum does point to the regulator."

Actually temperature itself isn't a good guide because they do get very warm in normal use.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Sorry

James was in there first about charging.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
centuryfox

Feb 08

centuryfox says:

Problem solved - I think!

Hi, sorry have not replied in a while but I think the problem is solved. I've fitted a new regulator and that seems to have done the trick - I'm now geting a much healthier readings on the multimeter  - 14.30 at 5,000rpm. I do hope this has fixed it as I'm riding to Barmouth tomorrw and dont fancy another breakdown. Thanks for all the guidance and advice from all concerned. I love riding but I have a lot to learn about the mechanics of the things. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices