Skip to content

Ask an Expert crashed on wet road. Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > crashed on wet road.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

crashed on wet road.

I went to get to know the test area over the weekend and to my utter shock i just fell off the bike while negotiating a round about. The only thing I can think of that could have caused this was a little bit of rear brake. I dont like applying rear brake usually but I was doing it especially for a test. The road was already wet and slippery plus the turning around the roundabout and the brake seemed like the perfect recipe for a crash. But luckily I did not get hurt at all. the right side brake lever got a bit damaged. So, any advise on wet roads??

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 April 2012 13:57)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Try....

not to brake in the wet when the bike is leant over,scrub your speed off before you enter the roundabout,so you can negotiate it with little or no braking,also leave more room in front of you so if you do need to brake you have more time.

Watchout for rainbow colours on the surface of the water as this is a sure sign of split diesel or oil, also avoid drain covers and white lines at all costs, your concentration needs to be even move focused in the wet.

Take care and ride safe.

Unit

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Advice for the wet

take your time, plan well ahead, and smooth everything out; clutch, brakes, throttle and steering - to do this you do *need* to know whats happening well ahead (indeed, imagine you are riding with no brakes, ie try and lose speed gently resorting to brakes only when you have to {coming to a final halt}). In these conditions, back brake is probably safer than the front (the front can be bloody fierce).

Don't know how long the rain had been falling on that roundabout (or how heavily), but the first few minutes of rain after a dry spell is usually the worst - all the fuel / oil / mud etc will float on top of the water and make a slippery surface. After that, a lot of it will get washed away. As mentioned, roundabouts are favourite places for diesel spillage (wagons going round them with a full tank of fuel sloshing about).

Make sure you're loose - much depends on "communication" with your bike (ie feel what its doing underneath you) and this is more important on a poor surface. If you're tense, you can end up almost "fighting" with the bike which is almost always bad.

Lastly, if you're out in the wet, make sure you're warm and dry - if you get wet, you'll get cold, and if you get cold, it saps your concentration. If you're not concentrating because you're cold, bad things happen.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
BikerDefenceSolicitors

Apr 12

Avoid braking

I do think on wet roads you need to avoid braking wherever possible. 

I'd also say you should avoid testing brakes on any bike while leaning over.  Test them in a straight line.

Personally, I try to set the bike up for the turn so that I can release all braking just a moment before I lean over so that I rarely need to apply any braking through a turn whether it's wet or dry.

I also hardly ever use the rear brake.  My bike is an early '09 and has done nearly 30,000 miles yet still has the original rear brake pads because they are simply never used.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices