Skip to content

Discuss This Isle of Man Government announce Manx GP revamp TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > Isle of Man Government announce Manx GP revamp

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN Sports Desk  says:

Isle of Man Government announce Manx GP revamp

The Isle of Man Department of Economic Development has today announced proposals to revamp the Manx Grand Prix. The plans, revealed in a special MCN interview with the DED’s Chief Executive Office Colin Kniveton only last Wednesday, will come into effect for the 2013 event. It will see the Manx focus switch to a classic festival, with three of the five...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 May 2012 10:04)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ExiledRedBaron

Jul 09

All in all I think that many of the proposals are very reasonable (particularly the inclusion of classic bikes). However the biggest stumbling block to increasing attendance at any event on the island (motorcycling or anything else) is the rip-off pricing of the Steam Racket and the hotels. My friends and I stopped going to the island many years ago and instead went to the NorthWest200. The ferry ride from Heysham to Belfast was twice as far as from Heysham to Douglas but cost 50% of the Steam Racket. Not to mention that the hotels in NI were also considerably cheaper. All in all if prices were reduced to more reasonable levels more people would come.....

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

hummm how about lower ferry prices at £200 ish for a return to the TT on a bike or 500 ish for a van how about  half price you get more visiters with them prices as its the steampacket which has stop me going for more than just the TT

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

The nice thing about the Manx GP as long as I have followed it has been that it was an event focused on competitors rather than spectators. Bringing in "prestigious" races featuring modern day TT stars is surely taking the focus away from that. Presumably the Manx government are hoping the changes will bring in more visitors, IOW they are all about tourism revenue. And sod the little guys who have made the Manx the event it has been.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

The steam racket has had something like four separate owners so far this century. This would tend to suggest that it's not the cash cow that you might expect. Perhaps this is because away from the peak times (TT and school holidays) they don't attract enough customers. Ferries to Ireland OTOH seem to be almost full whenever I travel there. The solution? There isn't a purely commercial solution, the Island simply isn't big enough to attract more visitors and there aren't enough residents travelling to and from the UK to bring up the numbers. One possible solution is government subsidy and I don't think the Manx government have the money to subsidise the operation. The only other would be nationalisation and running the ferries for no profit, but again I don't think the Manx government have the money to buy out the current owners. As it is I can't see the prices changing.

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Statistics

The proposal states that in the last survey in 2009 some 9000 visitors attended the Manx GP and that the event is not sustainable at this level of support. It also says that 15000 people attended Jurby in 2011 which looks like a 20 % increase each year thereafter for an event that is supposed to be losing visitors but which is in fact growing if the Jurby figures are to mean anything. Just this morning I met someone who regularly visits the TT as he fortunately has a family connection there for accommodation. He had mentioned visiting the TT to someone who fancied going but who found out that accommodation had in some cases already sold out 14 months in advance. This ended his interest in the TT. Chasing huge spectator numbers is self defeating when the transport and accommodation infrastructure is the limiting factor to growth. Why not modify the Goodwood festival type of marketing approach. Determine the optimum number of visitors that can comfortably be transported and accommodated to enjoy the event in comfort and pre sell online a voucher system which for a given number of participants, say 25000, would entitle the holder to a substantial ferry and accommodation discount. This way the government would have a handle on possible visitor numbers and return on investment for subsidies.

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Statistics

The proposal states that in the last survey in 2009 some 9000 visitors attended the Manx GP and that the event is not sustainable at this level of support. It also says that 15000 people attended Jurby in 2011 which looks like a 20 % increase each year thereafter for an event that is supposed to be losing visitors but which is in fact growing if the Jurby figures are to mean anything. Just this morning I met someone who regularly visits the TT as he fortunately has a family connection there for accommodation. He had mentioned visiting the TT to someone who fancied going but who found out that accommodation had in some cases already sold out 14 months in advance. This ended his interest in the TT. Chasing huge spectator numbers is self defeating when the transport and accommodation infrastructure is the limiting factor to growth. Why not modify the Goodwood festival type of marketing approach. Determine the optimum number of visitors that can comfortably be transported and accommodated to enjoy the event in comfort and pre sell online a voucher system which for a given number of participants, say 25000, would entitle the holder to a substantial ferry and accommodation discount. This way the government would have a handle on possible visitor numbers and return on investment for subsidies.

Reply to this Topic
INJEBRECK99

Sep 11

INJEBRECK99 says:

TT & MGP

I became fed up with the TT racing,not the other events, just the races, despite many big names, the bikes let the racing down for me, they are all the same, proddy bikes, no real racing bikes any more, at least at the MGP you can still see and hear somr "proper" old racing bikes.

Reply to this Topic
tribsaman1967

Mar 11

classic manx

I had been going to the tt and manx for about 30 years but the ferry prices  put an end to that,I could put up with camping when no digs were available but will no longer be ripped off,it's now a rich mans holiday,so for the same money i'll lie in the sun on Crete !

Reply to this Topic
jjd1946

Jul 10

jjd1946 says:

Isle

It's not broken so don't try to fix it. Your dealing with 100 plus years of racing, the best racing the best. This sounds like a politicians beginning salvo to restrict and, thereby, destroy one of the last bastions of real Road Racing.

Jim Deady

Reply to this Topic

Aug 02

1100970 says:

Done several years of the TT then the Manx, to me there are two problems one is the island itself, it`s a dump big time just goes to show that the rich that live there only visit once in a blue moon second the ferries  the biggest problem Rip Off comes to mind or Mickey taking.

We bikers ignore the downsides (including police who must hire every speed gun available during the 2 events so they can generate there income for the year) which is great but after many visits it is very difficult for me to enjoy a trip when I am riding off course on roads which are crap, rubbish in lots of places with very run down shops and cafes scattered about, the pubs seem ok but pricey when race events are on. 

Changing the schedule does not alter any of my concerns Mr Manx goverment.

Andy  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle