You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > highland trip

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

skoota1

Apr 12

skoota1 says:

highland trip

Hey people, a mate and i shall be going to scotland this year touring for 8 days, we live in the south of england and havent toured there before. So far we think we shall visit crainlaric/glencoe area, kishorn/applecross area, isle of skye, john o groats, cairngorm mountains etc..... I was wondering if anyone knows of any particularly good roads or biker stops or views? Also is there a weekly bike meet that goes on in the highlands(north of cairngorms) that anyone knows of? cheers :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 May 2012 17:03)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dd1965uk

Mar 09

dd1965uk says:

Highlands

Went up for a week in April. Travelled up to Fort William, then to Isle of Skye, then followed coastal road to Gairloch then Ullapool, then up to Durness.

Roads are fantastic. We went across to John o groats then down to Helmsdale, then stopped in Edinburgh

The roads around Glencoe are excellent too.

Make sure you have got good waterproofs thouigh!

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Crianlarich........

Just ride through on way to Glencoe!

As previous poster said, Glencoe to For William is great. You can go on the Connan Ferry nr Fort William and ride to Mallaig, the sea/sand there have to be seen to be believed!

Up to Inverness/Ullapool great roads. Personally, I would go South West from Ullapool to Kyle of Lochhalsh, then take the A87 and head for Fort Agustas - best road I have EVER ridden - stunning!

Round to Oban, all round that area, can't go wrong, take the A82/A85 on your way back:smile

Reply to this Topic
Tannasfish

Feb 11

Tannasfish says:

North Coast

I agree with everything previously said - fantastic roads and scenery but just thought I'd put a word in for the North coast.

The A836/838 from Thurso to Durness via Tongue is stunning. You can then travel on down the NW coast to Ullapool. Weather very unpredictable though!!

Reply to this Topic
neilybabe

Mar 05

neilybabe says:

Applecross Inn

If you go to Wester Ross check out the Applecross Inn at Applecross. There is camping nearby, and when you go via Strathcarron (the hotel is a brilliant biker hotel on the Bike mag loop) and take the steep and tricky single track road to Applecross the views will knock you out. The food at the inn is hard to better, I kid you not, if its a nice sunny day you'll think you've reached biking nirvana. I was there last week I can't wait to go back.

Reply to this Topic
skoota1

Apr 12

skoota1 says:

cheers evryone :smile

Reply to this Topic
skoota1

Apr 12

skoota1 says:

does anyone think much to the cairngorms then?....

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Thats the Glen Coe road

Just make sure you do the road Northbound, its light years better than southbound:smile

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Cairngorms

You've probably figured this out already but you could do a loop starting from Loch Lomond>Inveraray>Tyndrum>Skye>Applecross>John O Groats then back down via the Cairgorms. I'd probably come off the A9 at Carrbridge then follow the A939 heading for the Lecht Road, just make sure your brakes are in good condition as these are some on the steepest roads i've ever ridden!:shock:, from there i'd continue south for Braemar and from there on its up to you....:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Aye

the Lecht, like big dipper:shock:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Just been up to

Thurso the other week (from Scarborough) - I went across the A64, joined the A1, followed that to Edinburgh, then Perth / Inverness / Thurso (I was seeing a mate, rather than touring).

Do beware that fuel can be a fair bit more expensive than average up there, and if you go up at night it might not be easy to come by either, and if you go up via the A9 beware of wagons straddling the road on the Berriedale Braes hairpin bends.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices