Skip to content

Discuss This KTM Duke 200 European launch delayed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > KTM Duke 200 European launch delayed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

KTM Duke 200 European launch delayed

The new KTM Duke 200, spied by MCN in February 2011, has been delayed by a month due to demand from emerging markets. The bike, which is effectively a Duke 125 with a big-bore kit, is built for KTM by Bajaj in India and has proved a huge hit with Indian, South American and Malaysian riders and KTM are putting back...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 May 2012 17:55)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BBQdog

Jul 10

BBQdog says:

I will wait for the 350 next year. Once that one is on the market it will be hard to sell any 200's.

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

:-)

I really like these new baby dukes, if they bring a 350, that'll be awesome. if not, i'd like the 200 :-)

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Great stuff, I wonder how many 125's get upgraded to 250 given the chance. A bit like Harley 883 Sportsters get bored out to 1200. The 883 egine is the same but sleeved down.

Reply to this Topic
easytargets

Jul 09

easytargets says:

200 limit

The emerging markets often have a 200cc limit or breakpoint in licensing so it's a big thing in Malaysia and India for example.

The 350 might be a big blow to Enfield sales in India

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

It's available here in Hong Kong for HK$49,800, which is the same as the non-abs CBR250R and CB300R. The Kawasaki Ninja 250R is HK$56,800. TBH, the CBR is quite uncomfortable, the CB300 looks badly made, and the Kawasaki's pricve has gone up a lot recently because it is so popular. So the KTM is gonna do well here too, but I'm really looking froward to the Freestyle 350 due later this year or next year at the latest.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

looks ace when i saw it at the dealers shame the eu stuff getting in the way of a 300 2t engine in it e like a moden rd

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

boybilly1967

Very few 125s will go out to 250, although 200 is fairly common - even though some production 200s based on 125s have often fallen quite a bit short of a true 200cc. Of course some 125s have been squeezed down 200s. It's kind of hard to double the capacity of an engine simply by simple internal changes. Doing it by increasing the bore alone would mean a 41% increase in bore. On most engines that would take you through the liner. And banging in a bigger piston plays hell with the balance meaning you need a new crank to compensate. Massive increases in stroke would also be a pain as you would probably need to modify the cases and you'd need a new barrel. If you're going for new cases, new barrel, new crank, new rod (probably) and new piston (probably) you're more or less building a new engine. So why bother? Why not just design a new engine from the ground up that is optimised to being a 250.

Reply to this Topic
BBQdog

Jul 10

BBQdog says:

The Duke 350 will have the engine of the FreeRide. I have seen the first FreeRides over here. Nice bike, but I need a ladder to get on it. Also not convinced about the electrics hanging loose above the engine and the plastic number plates touching the silencers.  Also the rims seemed dented.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

jollyboy

That's a fair point but did KTM intend to do this all along and that the 125 is a sleeved down 200cc motor?, as the Harley 1200-883 motor is I was meaning.

Reply to this Topic
AHA1

Feb 12

AHA1 says:

Nice to see KTM have a sales hit with a road bike at last. Duke2, Adventure, LC8 SMs, Super Duke & above all the RC8, all fantastic bikes that sold far less than they should have.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle