Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Stevelmk

May 12

Stevelmk says:

Fazer problem acceleration

Well lads new to the site first post is a problem with my fazer 1000

from videos i have seen on you tube my fazer does not fly up the rev clock the same way more like crawls 

it is a 2002 yam fazer 1000 42,000 miles it has a Ivans kit and just serviced.

it just has no poke what so ever very slow to accelerate and once it passes the 7000rpm it just bounces from 7rpm - 9000 rpm with very little increase in speed.  it will barely scrape the 100mph mark

only have the bike few months and never rung its neck so to speak any ideas? 

also have put semi-synthetic car oil in because i could not afford bike oil at that time but i found many sites that seem to run on the stuff my mates gixer thousand has no problems running on same oil. 

gear changes are silky smooth on the bike so i assumed it was not the oil . I just wanted opinions of more experienced people before i change the oil  

also the occasion i did drive hard before i changed the oil i still got the rev clock skipping back and fourth from 7-9rpm

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 May 2012 23:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Fazer 1000

Welcome Steve,did the service include a valve clearance and ex-up valve check ?

Bouncing rev counter could be clutch slip caused by car oil.

How much was the car oil?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-5000-10w-40-FZS1000-Fazer-01-05-Oil-And-Filter-Kit-/280705467433?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item415b598429

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

How much was the car oil?

Who knows but I bet bike oil was a lot cheaper than the new clutch that puttin car oil in it will probably necessitate!!

For future reference, car oil for cars, bike oil for bikes!! Not all oils are the same!!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Fazer problems

Both Jaffa and I have Gen 1 Fazer 1000's and yours should absolutely fly - particularly with an Ivan's kit. 

I do not believe that the oil is your immediate problem but change it anyway.  Regardless of your mate's experience bikes do not fair well on car oil.  The requirements of the respective engines are competely different and the oils for each are designed with different properties. You will screw up your engine if you run it on car oil.

The first thing I would check is your exup valve. These have a habbit of siezing if they are not properly maintained and this will rob you of power. If the bike has been standing it is possible that the carbs will need a stip and clean - alterntaively you can try one of the fuel addatives that claims to clean carbs to see if that yields any improvement.

I assume that you trust the guy that did the service and that you are happy that it has been done properly.  Either way have a look at the air filter to see if it has been replaced.  Again, a blocked/dirty air filter will rob you of performance. 

Finally have a look at your manual.  If the rev counter appears to be sticking at any point this could point you to the problem.  Yamaha use the rev counter as a diagnostic indicator - the details are in your manual. 

Good luck!    

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

good luck

aah yes its sounds like its a fault code on your rev counter bikes trying to tell you what the problem is had 2 fazer both the old 600 and the 2003 thou great great bikes and fast 

first problem you have is putting car oil in the bike stupid thing to do bikes tend not to like it especially if the bike is over about 8 years old  it can cause bloody havoc with the clutch gear box and all sorts most commonly is clutch slipping like being able to go to 100mph and it just not being able to go any faster (happened on my mates ninja 600)  

heres a brief tach meter error code:
3000rpm somethings wrong with your throttle position sensor
4000rpm speed sensor
7000rpm exup valve stuck or servo motor for the exup valve is locked
9000rpm emergency stop switch is faulty (can be anything from failed circuit disconnected or the lean sensor is having problems)

hope this helps but fazers are truly great bikes and usually bullet proof  out of the now 17 bikes I have owned they have been in the top 3 of all time 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha Fazer 1000FZ1 2002

Hi Steve and welcome to the site:smile

Sounds very much like a seized EX-UP valve(like ever body has already stated)only reason i have posted is to again stress the importance at not using car oil in your bike engine.Because the vast majority of bike engines are now unit construction(engine gearbox clutch as one unit) not pre-unit (engine gearbox and often clutch)all as a separate parts having there own oil or grease to run in.Cars mainly are pre-unit having there external parts ie gearbox clutch and starter motor Assembly's bolt to the main engine block.So in brief car engines can take all manner of oil additives to help to reduce friction as they do not have to cover all the other parts lubrication needs.The biggest single problem(besides clutch slip contamination which in itself is an easy repair,all be it sometimes expensive)is the starter clutch,if the starter sprags start to slip they shave very thin shards of case hardened steel off which is now floating about in the oil,if these don't get picked up by the oil filter(oil filter could be coming to the end of its life and needs changing,so oil is bypassing oil filter and just being re circulated)for any reason.These case hardened shards can get into oil ways and onto white metal coatings such as main or big end shells,or worse if cams are running in cylinder heads with cam caps with no shells just aluminum.I do these type of repairs all the time due to car oil,but its often the bike has a new owner who is now doing the right thing and it was the previous owner using the car oil,bit of a time bomb effect.

So moral of this story is don't use car oil or any car oil additives,and you can tell your mate its only a mater of time before hes going to have to visit someone like me with his pride and joy:smile     

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

just ....

another numpty  post I think.

Reply to this Topic
Stevelmk

May 12

Stevelmk says:

will change oil straight away

going to change oil back now i had it in there for two short spins i am hoping any damage be miminal 

Reply to this Topic
Stevelmk

May 12

Stevelmk says:

thanks

thanks for all the help i will let ye know of the outcome after i change oil and do the various other checks 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

oil

I would hold the clutch lever in for a while when nearly drained,trouble is the oil filter will have half a cup of oil left in it.also i think the ex-up valve starts to open around 3,000rpm.

Reply to this Topic
NotAnotherHill

Jun 11

Restricted model?

I read on the Fazer owners website something about Non UK European models being restricted to100 bhp. It's apparently straight forward to derestrict. I would go on their website for info. It's a mine of useful stuff.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices