Skip to content

BMW BMW recalls 2012 S1000RRs S1000RR

You are in... Forums > BMW > S1000RR > BMW recalls 2012 S1000RRs

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

BMW recalls 2012 S1000RRs

BMW is recalling around 1500 2012-model year S1000RRs built so far because of concern over gradual loosening of connecting rod bolts which may cause engine damage. The recall – dubbed a ‘technical campaign’ by BMW is not a safety recall and owners will be contacted directly.The work affects 150 bikes in the UK with the majority of the 1500 bikes...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 May 2012 09:53)

Post a message in S1000RR

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

They really are cocking it up big style

"Not a safety recall"?  Are they joking?  What do they think is going to happen if a con rod lets go?  A rainbow of kittens and unicorns sprays out of your exhaust?

And God help the poor buggers who have their engines tinkered with by Trainee Terry down the local Motorrad.

Still, if the GS experience is anything to go by, most owners are still going to fire up the Ship of Theseus (Trigger's Broom) rationalisation that "Well, it's done 100,000 miles and it's only needed to have four wheels, three gearboxes, two looms and the frame replaced: most reliable bike ever."

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

german engineering is so reliable...

o wait no it really isn't, forever hearing and reading people get really obscure problems with their bmw's

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Ah - nobody calls them safety recalls these days (too negative), they are usually technical updates, or other such more positive sounding affairs. To be fair, getting the manufacturer to even acknowledge that there is an issue in the first place can be the bigger task. I love my RC8 and have not yet had any issues, but, there are, or have been, a fair selection of problems, including their occasional tendency to stall at speed, with all the issues that that brings. Evidently several people have contacted KTM about exactly the same stalling problem and have each been told that this is the first that they (KTM) have heard of it, and it is just down to people not knowing how to ride a big V twin. Now it may well be, but there definitely appears to be a fingers in ears 'la la la' approach by KTM.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Con rod bolts, that sounds like a labour intensive and expensive recall.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Con rod bolts, that sounds like a labour intensive and expensive recall.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Not News

I read about this on Bikeland on 16th April, hardly news any more. These things do happen, anyone remember Honda and the chocolate camshafts?

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

With such high performance and tight tolerances this will happen, check out vosa online and it shows every bike manufacturer with issues some big others small.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

mattiboy ktm

On the contrary any of us who buys a ktm know they're far from reliable and the side stand will crumble into a million pieces the first time you take it off road, but everyone knows how unreliable they and no buts one under the pretense of it being an easy machine to own. But with bmw you expect quality and reliability

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Steady

Aye - that's exactly how i've been looking at mine (same as with a ducati), getting through the year with no catastrophes is just the icing on the cake.

Reply to this Topic
gixercarl

Sep 06

gixercarl says:

bimer

these bikes are sheds

bimer has the worst recall record of all motorcycle manufactuers

i have lost cound of people i have come across where these things have blown up or have a serious fault

mega overhype by mcn

the best advice i can give any owner

IF IT AIN'T JAPANESE IT AIN'T WORTH OWNING !!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices