General Tent General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Tent

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

Tent

Im going away on my R6 soon, well as soon as I get it back from the garage, and I need a tent for the trip. I've looked at a few but theres so many. I just wondered if anyone could suggest a good waterproof tent, which is 2 man +

Also I am looking for one which when packed away is as small as possible.

Im not looking to spend alot on the tent because I will probably leave it at my final destination so I dont have to cart it all the way home, so I'm looking for something no more than around £50.00

Thanks Guys :smile:smile:smile

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 May 2012 14:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oddjob183882

Jun 10

oddjob183882 says:

Tent for Touring

Tent for Touring

Hi, the subject of tents for touring has been covered very extensivly, so I've attached a link for a previous forum post.

I bought a Euro Hike "Kent" in 2010 @ £50, then I subsequently bought another in the sale @ £25.....& then another new one on Ebay for £12 or so. Tent number one has had a lot of use and for the modest outlay, I really didn't expect it to last so well! Infact, I'd say it's still like new!

Whatever make or model that you may subsequently choose, from my experience I'd suggest the following:

a) a separate porch area to store your gear

b) buy a groundsheet protector, ideally with the same footprint as the tent.

c) treat the tent with Fabsil before use.

d) separate the tent pack before loading the bike (tent, pegs, poles, groundsheet protector, mallet etc) the packing options are then more flexible. The tent could then be placed in a pannier and the poles, sleeping bag / sleeping bag liner, sleeping mat etc can then go in a drysack on the pillion seat. If you are going with a mate, you can share the kit as appropriate within the carrying capabilities of their particular bike.

e) don't leave the tent since you'll only have to buy another one!

Where are you thinking of touring?

Wherever you go, have fun & ride safe! :biggrin:   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

50 quid....

my first house  didn't cost much more than that....if you are going to dump it get something like this....or the best option for the occasional light traveller/camper...an army surplus goretex bivi bag.

cheap as California Highway Patrol.

Reply to this Topic
steve_n.yorks

Nov 07

2 man tent

You pay as your money !!

If your gunna use a tent again (motorbike rallies / touring) etc. A really good 2 man is a Vango 250 Omega. Proper waterproof, with seperated internally hung sleeping area, ground sheet and integral porch area. Relatively light weight (5Kg) and everything (incl poles, pegs etc) packs down into a cyclindrical compression holdall about 400mm long and 200mm diameter. I've had mine for 4 years now and it gets used frequently from March through to October. Cost about £90 now but deffo worth it !

Reply to this Topic
DuNkZz1993

Aug 11

DuNkZz1993 says:

@steve

spot on thanks mate bit more expensive than I wanted to pay but exactly what I was looking for thankyou!

Reply to this Topic
stirfry

Jan 08

stirfry says:

I agree with

oddjo. I have a euro hike 2 man. It packs away very small and has a porch area for storing boots etc... I have used some waterproof spray I bought from poundland for the seams which has done the job so far.

Only downside is that it is made around the frame of two seperate poles one forming a slightly larger hoop for the front and one for the back. These both thread through the outer cover and it is pulled taught by the guy ropes ropes. If it rains and the middle sags it can make contact with the inner sheet, the rersultant dripping on your sleeping bag with not be pleasant.

dont do what my slightly dim mate did. His father in law gave him a tent. It turned our to be a kiddies play tent. At the end of the first night it was wetter in there than outside! 

Put the tent and all clothes etc.. in rubble sacks, which I seal with gaffer tape.

oh and dont forget the poles which I did manage to do one trip to cornwall. Not much good without em.

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

if your leaving it behind

u might aswell just by a cheap one from tescos

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

steven.yorks...

5 kgs...my first house didn't weigh much more than that.:shock:.Get a bivi bag,yo don't need poles,you just pick up a stick from an hedgerow and prop the end open with that.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

awaiting delivery

of one of these. Weighs in at 2kg and packs up fairly small:

Coleman Cobra

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Coleman

I bought a Coleman Phad X2 for £90, packs up fairly small and plenty of space for all you gear once erected.

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Coleman/PhadX2Tent.aspx

Attached images:

1. DSCF0290  
  2. DSCF0290  
Reply to this Topic
oddjob183882

Jun 10

oddjob183882 says:

Coleman Cobra Tent

I'm glad that you've found a two man tent that you feel will meet your needs & requirments.

However, after a few minutes, you may find that it'll be extremely cramped for one person & their respective gear, let alone for two people. :roll eyes:  

I've attached some pictures & link... Eurohike Kent so you can see the benefit of a separate porch area.

Good luck with your trip! :biggrin:

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices