Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/answer What do I need to take for my first foreign road trip? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/answer What do I need to take for my first foreign road trip?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/answer What do I need to take for my first foreign road trip?

I'm doing my first trip abroad this summer and am uncertain what stuff to take. I'm riding round France and Italy for two weeks and hope to do 2500 miles, so should I bring tools, warning triangles, oil etc? What are the bare necessities? •   Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 May 2012 15:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
andyg01

May 12

andyg01 says:

I did a 2000-mile trip to the MotoGP race at Mugello a couple of years ago and I would recommend taking the following. A really, really good map. I had about two or three for my trip and they proved invaluable, not just to avoid getting hopelessly lost but to plan the best routes. Nothing worse than plugging away on a motorway when you could be on the twisties. My mate arrived at the Eurostar for the off armed with just an A4 printout from Google maps. Needless to say, I was the navigator. – A can of puncture repair gunk to avoid getting stranded – Emergency breakdown cover and the number programmed into your mobile phone – A phone charger and make sure your phone is full charged at all times – Decent waterproofs – Dry socks – A small waterproof bag to carry change and a credit card - makes life much easier at tolls – If you're riding in a group then, if you can afford it, a wireless rider-to-rider link. Really helps in town so you don't get split up; plus relieves boredom on long stints

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

If you want to travel light; Phone/charger Preferably a smart phone £100 top up before you leave, can be used for maps, just remember to turn your internet off when you are not using it, abroad it will eat through £100 in a matter of hours. Money/ card, passport 2 sets of underwear, waterproofs, 1 pair of jeans, 2 t-shirts, footwear(providing you wear leathers setting off). Puncture repair can and tool kit under seat. The most important thing is to check tyres before you set off, no amount of puncture repair goo can fix a blowout or broken carcass. Try to avoid camping, you will feel a lot better when covering long distance, even if you have to stay in a hostel.

Reply to this Topic
yamahayzr500

Jul 04

yamahayzr500 says:

Easy all you need is 3 things

Easy all you need is 3 things 1. Garmin bike SAT NAV (with Europe maps obviously) - brilliant ! 2. Carole Nash bike insurance (comes with FREE European breakdown cover) 3. Money I been thousands of miles all around Europe

Reply to this Topic
umpa2

May 12

umpa2 says:

In some countries it is a legal requirement to have High-Vis jackets just in case you break down. They are cheap and worth carrying around. Bring a little tool kit, just in case something minor happens. I forwent the warning triangle cause my bike has hazard lights. Take with some excitement, a memory for remembering to ride on the other side of the road ;) and money for petrol and tolls.

Reply to this Topic
PASSPORTTOURS

May 12

We've put some advice on our website

Have a look at www.passporttours.co.uk we've put some advice re touring abroad on our Passport Tips. Anything else just email us through our contacts or contact us via our twitter handle or Facebook page. Cheers Chris

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

My advice?

Forget the twat nav's ,eye fones, bi-vis and the ton of chargers and go explore and enjoy yourself. Stop being a slave to Technology and spend your hard earned on the local delights.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I agree with snev, forget sat navs, my nickname is because I'm the sat nav. Take Michelin maps, they don't need batteries. Make a list of towns and roads in advance and stick it in your tankbag or pocket and refer to it when you need to. Breakdown cover is essential, me and the wife have needed it twice when abroad, me with a puncture and her when she binned it! Take a debit card and a credit card, because if one doesn't work, the other usually will. And camping is fine as long as you are not stopping somewhere different every night. Have at least 2 nights at every site.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

Well it depends on where you are going and what you’re going to do.

MAPS, take maps like you don’t have satnav, ADAC maps are good, but check the scale of any maps being used, be careful of 1:1,000,000 million scale maps.

Special Maps, ADAC motorradtouren (ADAC-UEM) maps are great www it, also if your going to the alps there are a few nice alps motorbike sites with maps you can download and print off.

SATNAV, get a good one with up to date maps and lane assist for the motorways, and work out how to use it. The motorway network in Europe is complex especially around big cities and it constantly changes, use the motorways to get to other places. If you can use the autobahn do so, not to do 5000 mph but just so you can relax at your cruising speed. 

If you do have pre-booked accommodation do a proper check of the location before adding it to your GPS, like verify the exact location using www maps and even print them off.

Compass (pre-satnav device), I have a floating compass inside the fairing of my bike, it comes in very useful.

Reply to this Topic

Aug 02

1100970 says:

French Laws

Been a lot of talk about French laws dictating what Bikers must have in France, todate spare bulbs, high vis vest to french standard, spare galsses, no sat nav with location of speed cameras built in to it, original documents (v5 mot insurance) and dont know if the reflective helmet sticker law is in as yet. after all this you will want a bigger Bike.  

Think Jan 1st 2013 some of these may become law but if anybodys knows please let us know.  

As for roads a must is the N75 south france with the many mountain roads down there.

Andy

Reply to this Topic
Vallejo

Feb 12

Vallejo says:

Plan your route using ViaMichelin or similar. If you HAVE to use toll roads it will tell you the cost and you can prepare exact amounts in coin bags rather than faffing around trying to look for change. GPS is handy for finding petrol stations and cash machines but is probably best left in a bag until you are completely lost. Take cash, multiple credit cards and bank cards (some ATMs may accept cards from one bank but not another), small tyre repair kit, locks, alarm, insurance against the inevitable theft of your bike, etc etc

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices