Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/answer What do I need to take for my first foreign road trip? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/answer What do I need to take for my first foreign road trip?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/answer What do I need to take for my first foreign road trip?

I'm doing my first trip abroad this summer and am uncertain what stuff to take. I'm riding round France and Italy for two weeks and hope to do 2500 miles, so should I bring tools, warning triangles, oil etc? What are the bare necessities? •   Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 May 2012 15:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mike74

Jan 11

Mike74 says:

petrol and cops

Re pertol stations, all the petrol stations near me (French Alps) have card payment at the pump, I've never heard of anyone being done for speeding using data from peage booths on the autoroute. The police can issue on the spot fines for speeding; non payment can get your vehicle confiscated until the fine is paid! The local police in my area have an unmarked Hayabusa! (you have been warned) most big towns have somewhere to service and repair bikes so no great problem there. Sticking out your right foot is also done as a thank you to anyone who moves over for you. It would be safer to ride without speed camera indication activated on your gps as they will check if you get pulled. I got pulled over in a beaten up old espace because the police thought the additional heater I had added was a radar detector. In the mountians watch out for shade as it often means the road is still wet (particularly in the morning), cows and sheep just round the next bend and my particular favourite the local cars drivers who all have x-ray vision and will therefore be on the wrong side of the road round blind bends safe in the knowledge that no on is there! Hope it helps, enjoy the roads when you get here.

Reply to this Topic
doctortongue

Jan 09

doctortongue says:

no matter what countries i've been going through, i've written down just a few basic words i'd need ..'can you tel me where the nearest fuel station/bike shop/hotel with bike parking is?' etc ..and always, always put on 'excuse me, please and thank you'..you'd be surprised how much more people are willing to help you if you're polite and try to say it in their lingo..another thing i've  done since i was in the navy 30 odd years ago is keep a £20 note in the little pocket in your jeans..had to use it more times than i care to remember

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Go it alone !

Go on your own.Yes. Just you.You will find that people are curious about what you are doing and eager to help. Take the minimum of everything - you can get anything else along the way. If you are going to ride N and D roads in France - which provide hours of stunning, often empty roads to enjoy I suggest you take a plastic petrol can. France is huge and easily turns into deserted countryside and shut down villages for hours on end. Fill up the tank + that can at every opportunity , you never know when the next gas station will be. Just relax, go with the flow and you will love it.

Reply to this Topic
stevieboy1962

Feb 06

If you're carrying spare chain links on an FJR1300 then you're carrying too much !   Apart from the documents which you need to carry legally, you don't need anything different to what you do back home,most of Europe is quite civilised these days you know !

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

New info

You now must:

• Have at least 4 reflective stickers on your lid
  • Carry a breathalyser

Note: a warning triangle does appear to be mandatory for bikers.

Make life easy - avoid France.

Cite: Motorcycle Action Group (MAG), "The Road", issue 40 (May/June 2012), page 13, "More French riding kit"

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices