You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > apprenticeships

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

scarface4369

May 12

scarface4369 says:

apprenticeships

Hi,  I am currently looking for an apprenticeship to work with  motorcycles. I am currently studying at sixth form at sir harry smith community college in whittlesey peterborough. Does anyone have any ideas on how to search for apprenticeships as i feel i have tried everywhere?????? thank you

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 May 2012 13:02)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Apprenticeships

You might try contacting the Honda Institute at Colnbrook. This is where the factory mechanics (sorry, technicians) are trained and they may have details of dealers in your area that have apprentice schemes.     

Reply to this Topic
stonysleet

Dec 10

stonysleet says:

Apprenticeships

Hi Scarface

Welcome to the site. Well done on your career choice I started as a mechanical and electrical apprentice and any trade behind you will future proof yourself against most things life will chuck at you.

However, it may be difficult to progress out of the motorcycle industry if you dare wish to in the future. espessially the way ther EU seem to be chompping at the bit to kill motorcycling off

If you are desperate to enter the trade, expand your search to anything mechanical just to get the experience of different systems throughout your time. As, unless you get a specfic motorcycle apprenticeship, all the colleges will be looking into everything but mostly not motorcycles or any thing motorindustry related

But, when you have done your time served apprenticeship with a relevent company. Any motorcycle garage/dealership will snap you up give you the two week courses needed for each type of bike and youll be laughing all the way

Shiny side up

P.S. It is your life choose how you want to life it your doing well already at sixth form i geuss

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Apprenticeships

motor trade apprenticeships are always, always hotly contested - you have to be head and shoulders above your rivals who want the job.

Don't know what you've done or where you've looked, but here's a few ideas: there is (or was) an Apprenticeships website (apprenticeships.org?) - don't know how good it is (it didn't exist when I did mine) but may be worth a look.

Have a look in Yellow Pages, make a list of firms you'd like to work for, go round to the front door and ask what they have, then follow this up on a weekly basis - this proves to the employer that you have sufficient interest in the job.

When writing applications, "target" your application to the job / employer (research them / their website for things like number of people they employ, financial info, length of time trading etc). A large employer will have different requirements from his / her staff than a small one. If you aren't sure of a firm's details, eg if they don't have a website, then simply ask them).

Have you any mechanical / electrical experience at all (anything goes)? eg do you carry out odd repairs on cars, bikes or even domestic appliances for yourself / family / friends? If so, make a record of it (logbook style) - if for example, you've changed the front brakes on your mates moped, write down how you've gone about the job, take plenty of photos (if you haven't got a digital camera, a mobile phone camera, or even those cheap disposable cameras will do), eg "my friend complained the brakes were weak, on examination I found they were worn and needed replacing. After s/he supplied the necessary parts I went about replacing them. To achieve this I began by removing.....".  When fault finding, explain the symptoms (this is perhaps more important when working on electrical systems), eg "circuit x wouldn't work and checking the fuse revealed it was ok. A quick continuity check revealed the wiring was ok and a voltage check confirmed it, so I decided to check this component (bulb, motor or whatever) and testing confirmed it faulty". Include also any difficuties / problems you come across and how you solved them.

With these logs, show these to a prospective employer when applying for jobs - its evidence to an employer you have some idea what you're doing.

Don't know the full details, but I'm sure Suzuki have (or had) an apprenticeship scheme - maybe worth checking their site.

Reply to this Topic
scarface4369

May 12

scarface4369 says:

thank you

i will take all of what you said in to account, thank you!

ps, i have already apllied for the suzuki apprenticeship a few days ago and now just waiting tto hear back from them with anymore futher details.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices