You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > pot holes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

barneyboy

May 12

barneyboy says:

pot holes

If I could prove (and I believe I can) that the majority of "potholes" are not directly caused by bad winters but profit driven negligence, then any accident, injury or death, directly or indirectly, caused by potholes should be looked at again.

If I had the chance I could show others very quickly how to check out this and draw their own conclusion.

The evidence is there to be freely looked at and the freedom of infomation act gives access to data that proves neglegance.

My question is how would i get someone to listen even if it is just to prove me wrong.

Everyone is brain washed with the notion of bad winters cause potholes but i would hope that a good reporter could see the implication of what i am proposing.

This is a multi million pound buisiness and it is a multi million pound fraud.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 May 2012 00:56)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Potholes

Hey barneyboy...

Potholes are clearly caused by lack of road maintenance, and poorly constructed roads, that seems to be fairly clear. 

Look at roads in more severe climates, with vastly greater temperature swings (like New Jersey, upper NY state for example).  Closer to home, look at the more temperate regions compares with those having consistently harsher weather.

Then look at the motorways compared with minor roads, even in the same regions - vastly reduced traffic will not mean the road is in better condition.  

You won't need a foia to prove the obvious - an awful lot of locally maintained roads are in terrible condition, despite a lot of money going to local contractors.

What would be interesting is a breakdown of cost per vehicle per mile in a given area, and a correlation to the condition of that particular section of road.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Not so much

profit-driven, more cost-cutting. Local authorities have a given amount of money which is having to be spread ever more thinly, thus something has to give.

Thing is that a properly-constructed, properly-maintained road would probably tolerate a "bad winter" far better (thus needing less money spent when damage occurs), but here our authorities think it cheaper to not spend money at all for years, and then suddenly find they have to spend a fortune to put right severe damage - and find that they can only provide a sticking plaster solution because there's FA money (because its been wasted elsewhere).

On top of that, our roads were never really designed to take the volume or size of traffic we have now either.

Reply to this Topic
barneyboy

May 12

barneyboy says:

potholes

what most people dont know is what costs have been cut, like the crews that went out befor the first frosts with hot pitch boilers and filled minor holes and cracks whilst logging there location for repairs in spring. this stopped water ingress over witer stopping the roads breaking up. also gully emptying, you used to suck the gully out then back wash to ensure the drain flowed and inspect the gully for faults. now it is suck the gully out only as private firms are payed by the gully wether it works or not. gullys that fail under cut roads collapes drains form potholes and i have seen entire sections of roads that have been washed away because the gullys have under washed the road until it collapses.

there are other services that have been cut to pay for new initiatives that often are then mothballed after a short amount of time.

this would not be so annoying if the top poeple were not paid so much (250k for the chief in my area) on the premisis that you need to pay top bucks for the best people. these clearlyt not the best people.

the goverment have recently handed out a further 100M to councils to combat potholes, my council have just resurfaced a road that was in good condition and left REALLYpoor roads untouched, this is a ploy used to get more money as they claim they have fixed bad roads but there are more to be done. around here there are roads that are failing within 12 months of been resurfaced. this is not acceptable but who is there to point this out to? i see them resurfacing and can tell if it will fail or not just by seeing the condition of the road that they are trying to put tarmac on. i stopped and asked one of the crews once why they were resurfacing in the middle of winter and they said they knew that they shouldnt be but had been told to by their manager. thousands of pounds worth of work that WILL fail. the regs state the minimum road temp for resurfacing. you and me are paying for the regs to be ignoured.

Reply to this Topic
barneyboy

May 12

barneyboy says:

potholes

potholes are not caused by lack of maintenance. they are caused be a failier to comply with H.A.U.C (highways agency and utility company)specification. these are goverment approved specifications for digging, reinstating and resurfacing of roads. councils and utilty companys charge for doing work to this standard but do not abide by these standards. this is easily proved.

utility companys farm out the work to sub contractors who do not abide by these regulations, this is easily proved.if they were held responsable for their work for 5 years they would make dam sure it was done right but when the reinstatements fail the council fixes it at our further expence.

the majority of councils are now run by private firms, these firms do not abide by these regulations. this insures repeat work

we pay for a quality job but we do not recieve a quality job and yet when the work fails we pay the same people to redo the work, yet again to a poor standard. the road infrastructure is getting worse because "buisnesses" know they can extract more money by blaming the bad winters. If the regulations were followed, potholes would not form.

there are roads that have been servicable for years and yet when resurfaced they fail. this is not because they are poorly constructed it is because the resurfacing is substandard but charged at full rate. max profit with repeat busines. this is relitivly easy to prove.

this was openly admitted to me by one of the execs when i worked for a council that was then taken over by a private firm. the highways agency subcontracted the job of issueing and checking work to a private firm who then went into partnership with a firm that did the work. see the flaw?

all i need is 30 mins with ANYONE and i can show the reasaon for the majority of potholes and road failiers so that they can see for themselves how obvious it is that we are being screwed.

if you bought a brand new car built to a set standard (or so you thought) and due to substandard parts, it failed within 12 months, and then you were charged for the repair,and it failed within 12 months, and then you were charged for the repair,and it failed within 12 months, and then you were charged for the repair and so on would you continue to use the same supplier? would you look for reimbursment? sure you would and yet because its fraud committed by super large companys and overlooked by goverment we just continue to pay for this nonservice.

Reply to this Topic
shano

May 13

shano says:

Potholes

Hi First time post, hopefully I`m on the right page.

I hit a pothole on friday night and was lucky enough not to have on coming traffic heading my directions as i was thrown out of my seat and veered onto other lane.
Fortunately i kept the bike up right and didn't hit anything. The out come was £1900 pounds worth of damage to my wheels and tyres. I took my wheels /tyres to local suzuki dealers and have been told that they will need replacing, I have started a claim against Aberdeenshire council, looking to see if anyone else has done the same. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices