Skip to content

Discuss This Monza WSB race one cancelled for safety reasons World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Monza WSB race one cancelled for safety reasons

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Monza WSB race one cancelled for safety reasons

The opening World Superbike race at Monza has been cancelled for safety reasons following heavy rain at the Italian circuit.The race initially got underway in dry conditions with Tom Sykes and Sylvan Guintoli leading the way, but was red flagged on lap three when it began raining.The circuit was then hit by torrential rain and after on-going discussions between the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 May 2012 12:21)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

rubbish

Would you ever trust a Pirelli tyre after seeing what they were prepared to send superbike rider out on at Monza

the tyre company should be forced to refund every spectator (like Michelin did at the USA F1) and flammini should run extra races at another meeting but i doubt it will happen as rip off is in the Italian national anthem

how the hell can a major tyre company that has 3 major motor sport championships under a control tyre allow this fiasco to happen

what a advertising coup for other tyre company's ! get those adverts out

unique circuit or not this is pathetic

They wont last at Silverstone either ? Dunlop Michelin and Bridgestone can last out a much longer moto gp race on a more powerful bike in drying conditions !  so incompetent Pirelli have no excuse at all

Reply to this Topic
Jeff44

Apr 05

Jeff44 says:

Joke!

At this rate may as well take Monza off the calender for next season IN CASE IT RAINS!!! Good job they are not at Hockenheim anymore!!! The tyres round Monza were a joke,and a dangerous one at that! As for the race 2 fiasco,if they had started straight after the 2 warm-up laps I'm sure it would have gone 3/4 race distance,therefore giving Tom Sykes 25 points instead of the measly 12.5 he got! This is supposed to be a WORLD CLASS series not some club meeting.....get your act together Pirelli and WSBK!!! :-(

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Not good for the sport is this.

Reply to this Topic
TimTCat

Feb 09

TimTCat says:

Pirellis

Apparently Pirelli's recommendation was wet front & intermediate rear (of which there were two compounds). This was ignored by all the teams.  Note that the Superstock and Supersport races went off.

I don't believe anyone at Monza has covered themselves in glory, except Jules Cluzel, Sam Lowes & Tom Sykes...

I'd like to hear both sides fully before making a judgement. I am sure Pirelli would not have turned up at Monza without a tyre that works... especially as their plant is just up the road.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

jeff44 - tyres apart, i do believe that Monza is too dangerous to race in the wet, which i believe has contributed to the shambles over the weekend.

on the subject of the Pirellis, this hasn't come as a surprise - warnings about shredded tyres were made earlier in the season at Assen.  Pirelli have a major PR job on their hands to recover from this .....

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Come to BSB

Considering all this situations, the team Effenbert’s management will reflect about its racing future."

Come to BSB its taking over from the Ducati Aprillia run WSB and cheating and rule bending are not allowed and they respect the fact that paying spectators deserve to get what they pay for you would be made very welcome by the fans and organisers

it the best bike racing series in the world

i am a big fan of WSB but it stinks of corruption and rule bending what is the FIM doing ? it should investigate the running of WSB as it has become so poorly run its a disgrace

Reply to this Topic
kwakakid

Mar 09

kwakakid says:

went to monza, 1st race cancelled, just like that, 2nd race 7laps red flagged. 600 race finished. Wether its the riders dont want to race in the wet or the pirrelli tyres unfit to race, end result to me for 2tickets 205 euros, without the cost of flight, hotel and food!!!!!!!!!  Dont want to see anybody get hurt but bsb for me from now on, proper racers, proper racing, dry or wet!!!

Impression at the track was that the 2nd race was just waiting to be red flgged, maybe sykesy thought that as well, thats why he shot away like a scolded cat, not thinking about tyre life, good one tom!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
RSV4Andy

May 12

RSV4Andy says:

Bigest joke in WSB

The biggest joke at Monza WSB was on the spectators like myself who went all the way to Monza Shitaly to watch a complete and utter farce.  Over 2000 miles the cost of tickets, hotels, food and for what to watch a Superstock and Supersport race and then Tom destroying the cry baby Italians for 8 laps.  No refunds, no half price tickets for next years WSB race (not that I would go after Sundays farce) nothing just sod off you saw 2 support races and half a WSB race.  Pirelli need sacking from WSB and I use there tyres all the time (or did from now back to Bridgestones for me) along with officials and some riders not giving their supporters what they deserve and pay for.

Big up for Lowes he rode a superb race I was at Ascari at the time and we thought he had cracked it going up to the Parabolica on the last lap.

And congrats to Tom from a Huddersfield lad who was there, would have liked to see how big that lead would have been at the end of 18 laps (20 secs + the way he was riding) good on ya lad, battery on video camera was struggling waiting for rest of riders to come through Variante you were that far in front .  Go kick arse at Donny.  Like the reg Tom T5 SBK on the truck.

Reply to this Topic
TimTCat

Feb 09

TimTCat says:

Best Riders....?

These are meant to be some of the best riders in the world, are they not?

What the Organisers should have done is said, the SuperStock & SuperSport riders have raced, here is what Pirelli recommend so select your tyres and get to it.. Any rider who doesn't want to race doesn't have to.

Is it any wonder that the two riders arguing most for cancellation, were Checa & Biaggi, who had most to gain from a cancelled race. Surely they could have run 'softer' power options to combat the conditions? 

Good on Tom, for a faultless performance inthe one race they did have, shoul dhave double pointto make up for the cancellation, and you have to feel for Sylvain. Hope he has better luck this weekend. 

Reply to this Topic
alansbrown

May 12

alansbrown says:

Too little, too late

Infront have annouced on 18 May:

"In any case, in order to fulfill the thoughts of all of our fans, Infront Motor Sports in agreement with the Autodromo Nazionale di Monza has decided to allow free Paddock admission for Sunday in the 2013 Monza event to all those who present a coupon valid for Sunday or a three-day admission ticket of the 2012 Superbike race."

Does anyone understand what this actually means?  And how does this help people like me who went to Monza but threw their ticket away in disgust after the fiasco?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices