Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mk1rob

Aug 11

mk1rob says:

Sticking a leg out

Sorry if this is a daft question but I've often wondered,

whats the deal with the guys racing sticking there leg out when braking?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 May 2012 19:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

seems to be the

'in' thing, supposed to offer a bit more balance/confidence in hard braking areas.......or as a deterrent to someone trying to pass!!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Leg out.

It's a good question! Wasn't it Stoner who started it and no one knew why? Now it's common. Steve Parish mentioned it briefly today, suggesting that it puts more weight rearwards when braking hard. Thinking about it I suppose if you're not bracing your foot against the peg and consequently pushing your weight forward you're putting more body weight on the seat and thus helping to keep the rear wheel down. I'm not sure if that stands up to scrutiny but it maybe part of it.

Reply to this Topic
mk1rob

Aug 11

mk1rob says:

I see

I guess that makes sense. Just wondered why some do it and some don't. Crutchlow seems to do it a lot!

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Rossi started it.....

And the sheep followed the goat!!!

Don't seen to be helping him now tho eh!!............

Reply to this Topic
hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

It

drains the diarrhea out their leathers quicker after having a little rear end broadside :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Weight forward

All the weight is forward under hard braking,result rear wheel lifts or skips making it hard to turn in fast,so adding more weight to the rear helps keep the bike on 2ish wheels and stable while turning in.

In theory anyway.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

do they really

push the leg foreward or backwards? seems to me its almost deffinately out to the side a little foreward maybe but not much.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic

Sep 11

"Leg out helps you transfer the bike side to side faster for more technical riding than going knee down, all the fast guys go leg out.

The general rule of thumb is, leg out on tight technical turns, knee down on larger and longer road race tracks"

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

Rossi started it a couple of seasons ago, no-one knows the definitive reason, my guess is Rossi being Rossi was screwing with everyones heads, he's good at that, :)
Oh, look, he's out in front, half a sec faster and dangling his leg just before turning in, he must know something we don't.
I reckon it's a combination of that, creating a mental obstruction to prevent the rider behind passing on the inside and just maybe, Rossi, getting on a bit, (in GP terms), is perhaps feeling the ache a bit? Most of us on a long run will dangle one leg then the other to give it a stretch and get the blood pumping round again!

In time it might be proven that it has a beneficial effect, remember, way back, hanging off just didn't happen and now it's proven to be beneficial in getting around the tight turns faster and cleaner, it's something riders have to do if they want to be quick.

Reply to this Topic

Sep 11

i saw

that quote on a smoto forum personally i dont think id feel to comfy with sticking my leg out far too busy using it to keep me attatched to the bike:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices