You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 2009 XJ6-SA rear brake

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gjkt

Jul 09

gjkt says:

2009 XJ6-SA rear brake

Bought a new Diversion XJ6-ABS back in 2009 & have never been happy with the rear brake. It seems no matter how hard you stand on it, it does nothing to slow the bike. I've only done 1700 miles and the rear disc is already heavily scored. After a few hairy moments earlier today I decided to strip & examine the pads & disc. No descernable wear on the sintered pads, so I rubbed them on some 600 grit emery cloth to clean them & reassembled the brake assy. Thoroughly cleaned the disc with brake cleaner. That's when I noticed the heavy scoring.

Could the pads be too hard? Any other sugestions?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. XJ6S-ABS  
  2. XJ6S-ABS  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 May 2012 22:18)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rear brake

Oh dear,i expected pics of the discs/pads,

sounds like the pads are harder than the discs,

E.B.C double-h sintered pads should be softer,

i don`t like a keen back brake because it locks the wheel up,

Your m.o.t. is due this year and should be checked.

Reply to this Topic
gjkt

Jul 09

gjkt says:

Sorry 'bout that

Trouble finding a card reader that works!

Tried to find out what was fitted originally but no joy. Just dont have any control when going down hill into a tight turn etc. where the front would not be safe to use if you get my drift. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. Disc  
  2. Pads  
Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

rear brake

I`ve seen worse discs and that looks less than 0.5mm worn,

i don`t like the colour of the pad pins,is there any oil about?

Also is the caliper floating/free sideways? 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Disc

looks fine, scoring definitely not an issue, even new pads will bed to that in no time.

Like Jaffa says, pins look oily, but everything has a bit of a sheen - holes in the disc, caliper, pad backing plate.  There hasn't been any ACF50 or similar around here has there?  Are the pads contaminated?  Have you tried lots of brake clearer?

Was the rear brake always so ineffective, or has it got worse?

Reply to this Topic
gjkt

Jul 09

gjkt says:

Pads

Bike has only done 1700 miles from new. Original pads & disc. Caliper is free, piston moves freely, grease on the pins is the original aluminium paste from 1st assembly. Thoroughly cleaned disc & pads with brake cleaner. Pads are dry & clean.

Going to get it onto a rolling brake tester to check the efficiency. Next stop then is Yamaha dealer in Edinburgh when I get a day off. They said to let them have a look but as it's out of warranty, any fault with the caliper is down to me to pay for.

bb..........n.

Brake has always been useless but thought it might just need bedding in. Not got any better. Front brake is brilliant, one finger is enough.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Is the ABS coming in?

I like to judge the brake balance of an unfamiliar bike by seeing dabbing the front and feeling the deceleration and fork compression, then stomping on the rear to feel how hard it is to lock.  Not a huge fan of CBS or ABS!

Some bikes have seriously ineffective back brakes but seldom met a bike where you couldn't lock the rear - until CBS and ABS that is...

Older ABS was so crude the whole swing arm rattled when ABS cut in, but on some newer bikes the ABS simply smoothly and stubbornly refuses to do any serious retarding at the rear.  Can't comment on the XJ6 as I haven't ridden one, but if it's been the same since new could it be the ABS doing what it's supposed to do?

Where I'm coming from is your disc shows fairly normal wear for 1700 miles, as if it must have been working...

Reply to this Topic
gjkt

Jul 09

gjkt says:

ABS

Never felt it kick in on the back brake, even standing on the lever. Normally you can feel the back brake drag when it's used but mine seems to have no effect whatsoever.

Just been out & stripped and checked it again. Everything does what it should, no tightness in the piston, pads move freely, no residue on the disc. Just have to give it a serious workout when it stops raining.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle