You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > 1000cc sports bikes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sarahm919

Apr 12

sarahm919 says:

1000cc sports bikes

I'm moving back up to a superbike and wonder which one would be best.  I commute 30 miles each way on A roads, motorway and into the city all year round but also want to use it for the Sunday ride out. Any suggestions?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 May 2012 15:55)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Any suggestions?

Blade......well built,well finnished,well mannered,fun and easy to live with.:smile

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

well

If you're not especially long in the leg, then the 06/07 blade or 07/08 gixxer are superb all rounders.  Steering dampers that back off around town, silky hydraulic clutches, and engines to die for (in slightly too many case, literally) out of town.  The Suzuki has the best gear change ever and a bit more protection from the elements - just edged it for me.

Newer superbikes seem a tad more track-focused with cable clutches, shorter screamier strokes and and shorter gears.

Reply to this Topic
sarahm919

Apr 12

sarahm919 says:

thanks for advice

hmmm, am a bit taller than most girls at 5'9" but not too bothered about riding a sports bike, tested a daytona 675 recently with no problems.  Don't want another Suzuki as they can't cope with winter.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Suzukis and winter

Mine's done 4 winters and 33k miles.  ACF-50 twice a year, FS-365 too sometimes, a wash now and then.  Looks almost new.

I'm sure the blade would have been just as much fun on the back straight of Almeria, and equally dependable when caught out in four inches of slush - never again!

I'd agree though that older Hondas seem better finished, but not so sure about the later models.

If you're tall enough for the superb Daytona doesn't that bring the R1 into the game as an all rounder too?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Sports bikes

Choose one in a colour you like. They are ALL more than capable for our roads.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

What age bike and do running costs matter?

There are bikes that cost a lot less to run.  Superbike tyres don't come cheap - even if you change to sports touring rubber you'll be on a couple of rears a year.  Some 08+ blades burn oil faster than a two stroke, which might be annoying if you rack up the miles.

And servicing costs.. ..I think the S1000RR or RSV4 go 6,000 miles between services, versus my gixxer's 3,500 miles, though costly valve clearance checks have a similar frequency.

When I was doing 70+ miles a day and booking in for servicing 3-4 times a year I seriously wondered about getting something a little more affordable for the commute, at 30ish a day I now worry (and spend) less.

If I haven't talked you out of it, good on you - book a test ride on everything that takes your fancy - they're not all the same!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices