You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > xl1000 cylinder head

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

drjekylll

Jan 11

drjekylll says:

xl1000 cylinder head

hi, a week ago the front can chain tensioner on my honda xl1000 varadero packed up. the cams went out of sync with the crank and after removing the cam cover and getting the cams re-aligned to where they should be, for tdc, the inlet valves are not where they should be, with the gap beteen the cam and the valves lifters being about 7 - 8mm.

i'm working on the assumption that the piston has come up and punched the valves bending them. i intend to remove the cylinder head to assess the damage but wonder if it's worth the effort.

if the valves have punched the piston, doesn't that also mean that the piston has punched the gudgeon pin, the gudgeon pin has punched the conrod, the conrod has punched the crankshaft and the crankshaft has punched the bearing shells.

is it worth just repairing the cylinder head if the piston looks okay, or am i better of considering the difference in cost of having the engine totally stripped and buying another engine.

will a vtr1000 engine fit, are the electrics the same?? i know i'd have to set up a hydraulic clutch, thats not a problem.

there is a late 2008 xl1000 engine on ebay at the moment but that's designed for fuel injection, could i get that to fit??

cheers

dr j

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 May 2012 16:15)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Good question

" if the valves have punched the piston, doesn't that also mean that the piston has punched the gudgeon pin, the gudgeon pin has punched the conrod, the conrod has punched the crankshaft and the crankshaft has punched the bearing shells. "

Maybe, but the gudgeon pins, conrod, crankshaft are designed for some serious forces.  The only bit of the valve designed for decent force is it's pancake top - the delicate stem is only supposed to guide it into place.

Maybe this is why in the car world most cam belt failures just end up being a top-end re-build - the valve stems take the hit.

If it was mine, and in good shape before the valve crash, I'd consider a top end re-build, but I've no experience to say I'd be right - I've been wrong often enough...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda XL 1000 Varadero Year?

Hi Djjerylll

So what year is the bike?which cylinder head front or rear?

You seem to be going off the deep end?calm down:smiletake the head off the one you can see the damage(i am presuming you have checked the other head and its OK? cam chain and tensioner)inspect the damage,you could get away with just a new set of valves or it could be a cylinder head if the damage is to great?.Which ever it is its probably not a full engine,but you wont know until you get the head off and see,if its damaged the piston so bad that that to needs replacing its still not to big a deal.So strip the head off and inspect the damage before making any decisions.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Second hand head if needed,as its not a new bike?

http://partfinderuk.co.uk/

Check these out for a head if needed,but not piston or cam chain tensioners(replace both tensioners new) piston Dave silvers   http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/  if there is no wear in the bore?,a light honing before fitting a new piston and rings (std) should do the trick.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

bbstrikesagain

the delicate stem is only supposed to guide it into place.

Valve stems are not 'delicate'. if they were you would be adjusting clearances continually.

Drjekyll you have sound advice from KCMC. Photos of what you find would be helpful if you need further opinions.

Reply to this Topic
drjekylll

Jan 11

drjekylll says:

many thanks

many thanks to everyone for the answers. it was the front cylinder and it's a 99 model.

hopefully i'll have the head off this week and inspect to see how bad the damage is.

cheers

dr jekylll

Reply to this Topic
drjekylll

Jan 11

drjekylll says:

xl1000 cylinder head

has anyone seen the manual cam shaft tensioners you can get now as advertised on ebay (vtr1000 and others"???.

are these a good idea???

cheers

dr j

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Have

you got the head off yet?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

smidget

As the immeasurably more knowledgeable KCMC posted more clearly after me, my intended thrust was "don't panic".

I meant the term "delicate" in a relative sense.  My little ends, conrods and big ends deal with peak accelerative forces of around three tons at max rpm.  My valve springs exert only around a hundred pounds force at full lift, just enough to stop the valves floating.  The big bits are surely engineered for routine forces about thirty times that of the little valve stems?  If the piston tops and bores survived a collision of titanium and forged aluminium, I wouldn't be too worried about the bottom end, that's all.

Let's not hijack this poor chap's thread over semantics.

You know, I'm beginning to wish I'd chosen a less memorable userid...  It just represented my joy when I beat the system - I'd found a universally acceptable ID that didn't include my birth year.  I never thought how it might seem to others, but your nit picking has me wondering if it comes over a bit full of it and antagonistic?  If so, I'm sorry, that was never my intention.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

bbstrikesagain

Just accept the fact that your information is misleading and incorrect, and do it gracefully this time instead of your usual arrogant, 'I'm always right, no one can teach me anything', way.:shock:

Posters want and deserve information which is correct and accurate, lets give it to them and when we do get it wrong, which we all do, have the good grace to accept we are fallible.:tongue:

Now I have highjacked the post.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Smidget

Sod off you daft bugger!

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

bbstrikesagain

That really is an intelligent response, :lol::lol::lol: but they do say the truth always hurts.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices