Ask an Expert chain lube Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > chain lube

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zx12rbadassisnowzx6rbadass

Sep 11

chain lube

anyone know of a good chain lube i am using silkolene chain gel at the minute but doeznt seem to want to stay on my chain and much prefers being on my wheel?:mad:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 May 2012 21:44)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

I have seen the light!

I used to use aerosol chain wax and then, having seen the ball of gritty gunk behind the sprocket cover, switched to the oily aerosol version, which was still gunky. Having read recommendations from the motorbike riders on this forum (sometimes I think you're a minority) I finally asked the local garage to get me a bottle of 90w gear oil. I've only been using it for a couple of months or so but brushing it on, wiping any excess off and seeing it penetrate and make the drive chain look shiny and clean instead of off-white and claggy is very satisfying. It looks and feels right, like a machine my grandad might have looked after. Pushing the bike around it feels like it moves more freely, although that could be my imagination. I've never had a problem with chain life but I was pretty generous with the aerosol stuff, much of it ending up on the swingarm, wheel and lower fairing. With the new regime I've not noticed any fling or a prematurely dry chain. Anyhow, I reckon I'll never buy another can of chain lube. Try 90w gear oil.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Just a quick note

Gear oil is all I've used over the last 32 years in the trade. However,forget any thoughts of penetration past the seals on an o-ring chain. If it IS penetrating,the seals are shot,and the chain is scrap.  The oil is only lubricating the outside diameter of the rollers,NOT the inside. :wink:

Saying all that,ANY chain lube is better than nothing,but either way,apply when hot,and dry off any excess whichever lubricant you choose

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Cheers PDJ,

I've never really understood what an O-ring chain is but you've prompted me to look it up and I've found this diagram.  Just looking at it and knowing the stress it's under you'd think it would leak past the seals after just a handful of miles.

I'd always supposed that the external lube is applied primarily to help the links hinge, but you're saying that it's only function is to ease the contact between rollers and sprocket teeth? Interesting.
:smile

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

James

That's it exactly. The basics are,if a gear oil can get past the seal,then it'll thin out the viscosity of the grease which is sealed in,hence speeding up the process of long term lubricant loss.  Also another reason why X ring chains have become more popular,as it creates two points of firm contact,but less friction,which in turn helps a chain run a little smoother.  

Put it simply,and assuming road grime didn't exist and seals never wore out. If you never lubed a chain,the sprockets and outer case of the chain rollers would be worn badly in a relatively short time,but the inner rollers would be fine.Though not of much benefit by then obviously. :smile

Hence the need to lube often to reduce friction wear

Reply to this Topic
boiky

Aug 12

boiky says:

Which gear oil?

All - thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I've been choosing between spray chain lube and SAE 90 gear oil (recommended by my bikes Owner Manual).
And have chosen to use the latter :)
My questions is - which particular brand\product to take?
Will simple Halfords Gear Oil EP 75W/90 fit or I need something branded?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices