Skip to content

General Worrying new surveillance development General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Worrying new surveillance development

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Worrying new surveillance development

Taking the new bike for a spin this weekend, I noticed construction of what appears to be some serious surveillance equipment along much of the A465 (the famous "Heads of the Valleys") road in south Wales.

Quite a number of yellow tubular projections were underway, the type that looks like the 'average speed' monitors, where you get a bunch of cameras across a long horizontal bar.

This is an extremely popular route for bikers, where we get the chance to open it up a bit, with decent hills, bends, and fairly reasonable road surface.   Seems like they want to put the mockers on it.

Spying on us with our own money never goes out of fashion in this country, not even in the 'age of austerity' when it comes to any other public service.  Wonder how widespread all this is, and if this open prison we call Great Britain is going to be a total surveillance state.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 May 2012 22:25)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

yup,

that sounds like average speeds cameras for sure! :upset:

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

The good news

from a biker's point of view is that these things are forward facing, so they don't have to spoil the fun completely :winkie:

I do agree though, that it'd be better if they weren't there in the first place.

Reply to this Topic
Jeni4

Sep 08

Jeni4 says:

Any

roadworks planned or are they just colour co-ordinating with the daffodils? :laugh: 

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Forward facing...

I wondered about that too,  dave_c... there were plenty of cameras like that along the M50.  I wondered whether there was any point in slowing down for them tbh.

What ticks me off is the number of people - particularly the younger crowd (damned whipper-snappers!) - who can't leave their mobiles alone.  Young women are particularly bad for texting, young blokes for yaking on mobiles.

This weekend, on the motorway in particular, I noticed about one in 10 to 20 people using mobiles.  Weaving a bit - glance at the road, type a word or two.  Look at the road again, type another couple of words.  If I can spot so many offenders, why can't the police do the same?

Seems like The Powers That Be want to simply automate the fines, prosecute people for disobeying the law even though they are riding perfectly safely, and sack as many public servants as possible - even the filth that thought they were among the Chosen Few.

Jeni:  Woolly thinking there, I'm afraid!

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Watch Out

Some of these average speed scameras work both ways; those on the A537 Cat & Fiddle and A54 are an example (if they're ever switched on) - simple to spot which is which - 2 sets of scameras on each bar for the eachway  variety!

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Could they be Spec 3 Ave speed Cameras

If they are they form a network of up to 50 cameras and can be situated on a number of roads around the area so even if you only pass one on the A465 before leaving  you could pass one on a 'feeder' road.. The speed is averaged between ANY two of the cameras in the network.

This is how spec 3 has been explained to me.

Spec 1 could be defeated by changing lanes

PS they are digital so don't have the 'no film' downtime of earlier cameras.

Spec 2 stopped that but AFAIK only worked between sequential cameras on the same road.

Spec 3 networks were launched in 2009 & cameras can be up to 15 miles apart so they can cover a BIG area

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices