Skip to content

Ask an Expert renting a bike to practice for mod 1 and 2 Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > renting a bike to practice for mod 1 and 2

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply



May 12

Posts: 5

asoe209 says:

renting a bike to practice for mod 1 and 2

Hello im new here was hoping for some advice. Im looking to take my Mod 1 & 2 this year. 

I have been riding a scooter for about 2 months now. 

For the mod 1 & 2 ill be doing some sort of riding course im not sure who with yet of for how long. think it will be about 4 days. 

I wondered if it would be wise to rent a bike for about a week for some extra practice as I have not ridden a geared bike since i passed my CBT last year june. 

or will the riding course be enough to pass the bike test? 

the idea of renting is to get a bit more road experience with gear so i would ride to and from work. about 20 miles a day. 

hope you can advise. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 May 2012 23:08)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Dec 10

Posts: 12078

preunit says:

Hi asoe209

and welcome.:smile

Most good riding schools offer a free 1hr assessment of your riding,they can then advise you on how much training you'll need to obtain the necessary skills to obtain a pass.

Pick up the phone and chat to your local school and see what they say,they'll not bite.:wink:

Hope this helps.


Reply to this Topic
Jim JIm


Aug 02

Posts: 29

Jim JIm says:

Renting a Bike

Hi Asoe

Get as much practice as you can from renting a manual 125 and when you feel ready for the Tests get yourself down to your local training school and ask them to assess your riding. If its a decent school it will be for free. If they want to charge then go elsewhere.

An Instructor will take you out for about 20 minutes and will be able to tell you how many days training you will need to pass both Mods 1 and 2

Practice U turns on very narrow roads both rolling and static ones. Also hill starts using the rear brake to control the machine.

Also dont forget to take your Theory and Hazard Perception Tests beforehand.



Reply to this Topic


Apr 12

Posts: 12

Go for it

I rented a 125 for the week before I did the direct access course and test as there was a bit gap between CBT and test.  I'd definitely recommend it.

Just make sure you check the terms though.  I'm sure if you rent from your instructor as I did they are quite reasonable, but I took a courtesy bike once after a garage ballsed mine up and when I checked it had a £2,000 insurance excess on the hire policy!

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices