Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow: Stoner is in another league MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow: Stoner is in another league

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow: Stoner is in another league

British rider Cal Crutchlow believes it will be tough for Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa to wrestle the MotoGP title away from Casey Stoner in 2012 based on the reigning world champion's recent victories in Jerez and Estoril. The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team rider reckons the Aussie is ‘in another league at the minute’ after Stoner triumphed with a brilliant...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 May 2012 09:57)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bluAero

May 12

bluAero says:

"something's got to give..." - benny

I'd rather it be settled on the track than at HQ.

I'd also be more inclined to buy an R1 after watching a spirited, season long dog-fight between the T3 boys.

"dat der must be one hell of a bike with the three of 'em fightin' for the top four spots every week." - jasper, from athens, GA.

Reply to this Topic
bluAero

May 12

bluAero says:

dovi gresini

i didn't know gresini was keeping the factory honda after 2011. is alvaro's bike factory? with showa suspension? and nissin brakes? or am i getting my bikes, riders, and parts mixed up?

and to make matters worse, i thought brad was going to ride a new tech 3 CRT.  

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

cal and brakes

yes, that will slow cal down , and over take dovi......., we will see.

easy days .

benny

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

cal and brakes

yes, that will slow cal down , and over take dovi......., we will see.

easy days .

benny

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Still early days yet for Cal. If he outshines his team mate who knows? There is rarely a 'done deal' so to speak. All these contracts usually have performance clauses in them as you alluded to earlier Benny when you referred to Smith.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

bennyhegdehog

I haven't followed the details, but it is likely dovi's status is not even a matter for speculation. As I understand it  tech 3 for several years have had one rider signed to yamaha and one directly to tech 3, the yamaha signed rider usually getting closer to factory spec equipment, and I would presume dovi is that rider this year.

It is possible for things to change, as it did with stoner at ducati in 2007, I think he had been signed with the intention of him being a stop-gap until  marco melandri was off-contract the following year. There are usually performance clauses as has been said, which is why honda had to provide a third factory bike for dovi last year, he having met the performance requirements. Carlo pernat likely has negotiated a good contract for him again, even hrc couldn't break his one at honda. 

I have to say that while I think dovi is a fine rider, imo he is "close but no cigar" at premier class level, and I would not anticipate him winning a dry race without multiple misadventure to other riders. Ben spies has done this, but on current form it seems likely dovi would be better value for the factory team, in terms both of scoring points for the manufacturers title and taking points away from lorenzo's rivals for the riders title. Cal imo at least potentially could be better than dovi, particularly now he seems to have learned not to crash..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smilo996

Nov 08

smilo996 says:

Another League

League Division 1. Good yes, great nope.

Can you really imagine Stoner in this race?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfiZHqsVXyQ&feature=related

If Stoner  leads from the start of a race  then he will do well, if not then I cannot remember a time where he has fought his way through the pack and won, really battling for the win.

He is not entertaining in any way, either on or off the bike. And MotoGP is also about entertainment as well as results. By way of example......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9pg50Y7_Y&feature=related

Thrilling.....?

In this 2007 review, he nis either falling o0ff, on his own or going past other riders in a stright line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjckcZuApSA

Even after Estoril he was whinging about all the issues with arm pump (not getting any after his child being born), chatter, etc, etc, etc,etc.  

It is possible that he is in fact so good that no one can get close. However that is often due in large part to the bike, in this case clearly it is.

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

Nah. Cal's right.

"I cannot remember a time where he has fought his way through the pack and won"

I remember him coming from 5th on the grid and 8th at the first turn to win at Jerez which was ... what ... two rounds ago?  What about Laguna Seca last year?  In the very least, he usually has to get past Pedrosa.

Casey can battle very well and your only criticism seems to be that he's too fast and wins the battles too quickly?

"He is not entertaining in any way, either on or off the bike. And MotoGP is also about entertainment as well as results."

Ah, okay.  I've got an idea where your coming from.  Cheer up, man.  Your man's not getting the results, but you're lucky that he's such a great entertainer that you can still enjoy all that entertainment he gives you.  Enjoy!

Edit: Nakamoto just updated his "track report" blog.

After the Spanish GP, HRC Team Principal Shuhei Nakamoto commented "It was Casey who won this one for us." Here in Portugal, he had much the same to say "To tell the truth, we hardly helped at all. It was all Casey. I hope we can start doing our part soon and fix his issues with the bike."

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smilo996

Nov 08

smilo996 says:

Laguna Seca 2011. My point exactly, he started 2nd on the grid and went past Lorenzo on the start finish straight and then lead the race.......yawn........remember laguna in 09

Jerez....goes from 5ht to 8th at the start (true champ). 8th to 6th on a stright, goes past Hayden who runs wide, past Spies who ran wide, lorenzo in a corner (shock horror), pedrosa on the start finish straight.....fascinating..........

You have no idea where I'm coming from. Others not winning is not related to an opinion on Stoner, that is illogical. Small children do that. Having said that it was Stacey who took the championship winning Ducati bike at the end of 08 and turned it into the mess it was (09 4th, 09 4th), because of his compliants about the inconsistency of the steel trellis frame and too much flex. He then bails and goes back to Honda. Another winner that.

Nakamoto would say that. The rider praises his engineers and the engineers the rider. Since when did any team boss or engineer say, the rider was rubbish, this win was all to do with the engineers or visa versa.

Piffle. The man is dull, not especiaqlly talented and many others are at least interesting to watch and listen to. His best placing in 125......5th, 250........2nd....first year in motogp........8th.

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

That's a new one

"Having said that it was Stacey who took the championship winning Ducati bike at the end of 08 and turned it into the mess it was (09 4th, 09 4th), because of his compliants about the inconsistency of the steel trellis frame and too much flex."

Hahaha.  That's the first time I've heard that.  I guess it's safe to assume you pulled that from your arse.

Mind you, it's interesting to watch Le Mans last year where that dog of a bike beat both factory Yamahas.  That's of course before it was consistenty developed backwards all year and Rossi started only giving 70%.

Ducati bent over backwards for him and all they got were complaints, tantrums and 70% effort in return (true champ).  Waaa  ... they didn't give me what I wanted!  What a champ!

Anyway, Cal's right  and you're not.  No biggie.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices