Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow: Stoner is in another league MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow: Stoner is in another league

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow: Stoner is in another league

British rider Cal Crutchlow believes it will be tough for Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa to wrestle the MotoGP title away from Casey Stoner in 2012 based on the reigning world champion's recent victories in Jerez and Estoril. The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team rider reckons the Aussie is ‘in another league at the minute’ after Stoner triumphed with a brilliant...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 May 2012 09:57)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

it did fly

when stoner was riding it!!! lol

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

it`s wings have.....

fell off now,cos the pilot can`t  make it fly

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

so why didn't they?

they had ample opportunity to develop their bike into something highly competetive, instead they chose to send their riders to psychologists and try to entice lorenzo from yamaha. What makes you think it would have been any different if Stoner hadn't been there?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

benny

As I said, I think there is something to be said about the 2007 championship changing ducati's attitude, and for a period of time at least convincing them they were engineering geniuses.

I wouldn't describe their progress in the 990s as steady, they turned up with a dud bike after being competitive the previous season at least once in the 990 years, I forget which year.

As I also said, marco melandri didn't find that steadily/well developed trellis frame chassis very rider friendly, and the carbon fibre chassis bike was fine for stoner in 2009 when he was healthy, and the other ducati riders while not generally fast on that bike ( I think there were podiums for satellite riders, unthinkable at present) did not have random front end loses as occurred in 2010 and subsequently. They made several changes to produce the 2010 bike, including dictching the screamer engine and reputedly changing the weight distribution to make the bike more "rideable" for riders not named stoner.

There still seems to be some suggestion, including from rossi, that the engine is a fundamental problem, and stoner can hardly be blamed for not getting them to produce a narrower angle V engine. The trellis frame still seems to work handling wise in wsbk, but the superbike engine is not a V4/L4 .

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

i`ll never forget

troy bayliss turning up at valencia i think and blitzing everyone on the duke,when he couldn`t get close on the much more friendly honda....what the hell happened there?....i`ve not looked it up but was it the last race of the 990`s

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

interesting posts guys

Nice to read some sense and logic about the Ducati instead of the usual crap theories we get on here and all pretty spot on as well.

Think your correct BH about Checa but lets be honest is there any other rider that could just jump on the GP 12 and be up the front straight away.
I very much doubt it.
Yes Stoner probably could ride it better than anyone else but really how bad would it feel after the Honda and to ride it that hard how often would he be crashing.

I still reckon Ducati and Rossi will eventually sort the Ducati out so it is far more competitive than it is now but whether it will be able to compete with the factory Honda's and Yam's is another story.

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

benny

I believe it's a matter of record that another major reason for leaving the trellis frame behind was that the construction method didn't allow enough room for the size airbox that the engine required. i.e the frame was restricting power. Fuel to your fire no doubt. 

Also if the panigale comes good in wsbk, it would point to engine configuration being more of a problem than chassis construction for the frameless concept

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
weskit

Jun 10

weskit says:

in summary

The steel trellis frame was no longer suited to the new, more powerful motors Ducati were sticking in it. All riders were complaining about its stability ("flex and react" was how Stoner described it) and being an engineer Preziosi came up with what he thought was an innovative solution.

Risky move, one that didn't pay off. Perhaps if they's spend more time and money developing it from the start it would have gone somewhere, but Ducati doesn't have the R&D budget of the japanese manufactuers. I think Preziosi had some kahunas to try something different, fits in well with the Ducati ethos and ultimately it would have been pointless for them to try and beat the japanese at their own game. Unlikely it would have panned out any differently if Stoner hadn't been there, except maybe they would have gone back to the drawing board a year earlier in 2010. Without a world championship in the trophy cabinet.

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

from a ducati press release

`The satellite GP9 will not be exactly the same bike as the factory machines, but it is very similar. It will look practically the same and will be able to do good races. Having the input from five riders instead of two is of course a help, but it will be Filippo who will make the decisions on which direction we go with the machine.´

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Duacti, engines, frames and where it went wrong

Well, not exactly as I haven't a clue.

But, Benny, I think you're being a liitle speculative in your evaluation of the the transition from GP6 to GP7 and the reasons for the latter's lack of rideability.

Going back to about 2004/5, it was about then they moved to the Bridgestones. Having Bridgestone develop the tyre with them helped improve the performance of the bike throughout the season and by the time the GP6 arrived, they had a pretty good package. Interestingly, they had the same issues with power then as they have now and the GP6 had revised power delivery, less aggressive so that the bike was slower, but ultimately faster around a track - much like the 2003/2004 M1. What Ducati will also be hoping for in July no doubt with the revised power characteristic of the revised engine.

Interestingly again, the GP7 in tests got very favourable reviews from all riders, so I'm not sure it's right to say that the GP7 created a series of problems that had never been faced before on the GP6 and previous Ducati's. Capirossi confirmed the engine to be not as powerful as the previous 990 and more like a 250 to ride and it received praise for its better handling, faster cornering and better drive out of corners, no complaints about the handling of the bike or the engine. Even the satellite riders were putting in good times.

But what happened to Capirossi and the satellite riders from the first race onwards is anyone's guess. From the positive testing and feel they all had with the bike, something changed and none seemed to be able to ride it consistently apart from Stoner. Why - that's the question - and something to which we'll probably never know the answer.

But, as a bike, the GP7 was rideable by them all prior to that first race, so as a design, it must have worked.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices