Skip to content

Ask an Expert Zx6r forks? Suspension

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > Zx6r forks?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ging6996

Jul 09

ging6996 says:

Zx6r forks?

Hi all I have a few ques about my bike.

I have a 97 F3 and it's purely for track use. Originally I had loads of trouble with poor brakes and brake fade. So I got pads, hoses and a better MC.
This all sorted the breaks but now the forks bottom out under medium to hard breaking.

Now as there 15 years old and I'd asume they've never even had new oil I wan give them an over haul.
So what type of springs shud I go for linear or progressive?
What weight spring should I go for?
What make? Prices range from 80 -120 so not to fussed about price as its not a big dif but am more bothere about performance.

What weight oil?
How much oil?

With all my bike gear I prob weigh about 15stone
There's so much choice out there I don't no where to start. How do I no what's in the bike as standard.

And what's a good base setting for the forks after the over haul.
Any advice would be great as I wan get aload of track time in this year.
Many thanks
Graham 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 May 2012 10:44)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ZX6 F3 1997

Hi Ging6996 see you don't post that often?

I Think if you want to get everything set up and balanced you will need to get in touch with the likes of KTEC and Maxton,if your serious about getting the best out of your bike.With your weight 210lb and most Japanese bikes are set up for ten and a half to eleven and a half stone riders,so you need stronger springs both back and front.Probably something like 9.5kg - 1.0kg front and 7-8 kg rear you need to get your sage set and then the settings.Check out the suspension set up at the top of the page.

Here is a manual for the standard settings

http://www.mediafire.com/?vy4bjmnddb64ae7

And here are some race setting,but for a much lighter rider with a good standard set up

Front, preload three lines,rebound two clicks,compression three turns out. 

Rear,thirty millimetre to lock nut,rebound stiff,compression three turns out.As i say ring around some experts like Maxton KTEC Harris etc for advice and learn to set the static and rider sage,they will probably give you some more advice on base settings for the spring oil and set up when you have these things in place.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
ging6996

Jul 09

ging6996 says:

Hi thanks for reply. Do ya mean .95 - 1.0kg.

I tried ktech (I'm in derby and so are they) but they don't do fork springs for my bike.

So I'm looking around for some. Think choice is quite limited.

The rear at the moment is alright it's more the front and them bottoming out. I carnt go half as fast I would be able to. There is another company near me called raceing lines n they service rear shock and set em up for 100 quid. So when I have the front done I'll get the rear done.

Any other makes other than ktech.

Thanks again for reply. Any further help would be appreciated also.
Thanks
Graham

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices