Skip to content

Ask an Expert First time on a bike and messed it up! Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > First time on a bike and messed it up!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ecafisac

May 12

ecafisac says:

First time on a bike and messed it up!

went down to my local riding school this afternoon to be assessed on my skill and readiness for CBT. Well, suiting up and climbing astride the centres Yamaha YBR 125, I felt pretty good..... then we had to pull away and I messed it up! too much throttle, bike bunny hopping and not stopping ....arrrgghhh I was so mad! especially since the rider next to me, took to it like a natural... felt clumsy, foolish and dumb! ( my heart was racing and I know I wasn't relaxed)

But... the dream to ride a cruiser lives on.... I just need to get my head together and CALM DOWN....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 May 2012 14:47)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

It takes time

and practice.

my advice would be to just... get your head together... and calm down :D

You'll get there - just takes practice :)

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

First time

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.  We've all been there:smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As Baddog

its just practice - we were all learners once. Part of it is getting a certain level of "feel" (sensitivity of clutch / throttle / brakes etc) - there's no getting round it, and it varies from bike to bike (the throttle on a 600 is far more sensitive than that of a 125).

A little throttle (just enough to stop it stalling), and be very, very gentle releasing the clutch until you find the "biting" point (ie, where the bike starts to move).

Bear in mind the other "natural" guy may have had previous experience on bikes (eg motocross).

Stick at it - we all have to start somewhere.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

felt clumsy, foolish and dumb

Been there, done that!

Late seventies, mate's prized purple fizzie.  Must have stalled it ten times before finally getting it to roll, only to clip the corner of his mum's cinquecento.

Relax, it gets better from here on in...

Reply to this Topic
meatbaws

Jun 11

meatbaws says:

You'll......

Get there don't worry, hence the reason you went to a riding school they will teach you these things! Just shortly you'll look back and laugh at it !:smiley:

Reply to this Topic
BikerDefenceSolicitors

Apr 12

Chill out

Relax is the best advice I can think of.

In the hours before I passed my test I could not do a turn in the road to save my life.  I tried so much I'm pretty sure I burnt the bike's clutch out.  But on the test I managed to relaxed and did it as if there was never a problem

Reply to this Topic
debthehog

Sep 11

debthehog says:

Head explosion

I know, you feel like its never going to happen. There's so much to do. Back brake, clutch, throttle, steering. Aaahhhhhhh. Listen to your trainer and don't try to run before you can walk. Remember when you first learnt to drive?

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

hahaha

hahaha. ..I don't mean to laugh but the sight of someone on a bike for the first time in their life always makes me laugh because it reminds me of ME. Clutch control will come with time . Most of the people you will meet on a CBT has almost certainly been on a bike before so dont pay any attention to them . They`ve all been in the same position as you at some point . We`ve all had that sinking feeling when you think "oh bugger , didn't expect that ,I don't think I can do this " , You can do it mate , just be patient , listen to your instructor , he knows how you feel he was a learner at some point . Don't give up , take your time , and LISTEN !!

Just as a technical point , it`s happening because you are letting go of the clutch when you start to move off and not giving it enough oommphh. . What you should do it just hold it at the biting point of the clutch until you feel you are steady and in control and THEN SLOWLY release the clutch whist GENTLY increasing the power . Don`t take that as in instruction always listed to your instructor I just wanted to try and explain what you were doing wrong so you get a better understanding of how things work .

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Fisrt Time

Remember riding a bike is harder than driving a car 1st time as you have to balance etc. (cars don't fall over when you stop moving :biggrin:). Relax & it will happen almost without thinking.

Don't loose heart.

Edit to add Thanks gpx250rider. It really is this keyboard at fault. Batteries run down quick & just before it stops working completely it misses letters. HONEST :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gpx250rider

May 12

gpx250rider says:

lol

I think you meant cars dont fall over ..lol:lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale