You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Avoiding Punctures

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Avoiding Punctures

I've suffered from two punctures in the space of four weeks both on the rear tyre.  Neither me nor the tyre fitter could find the cause of the first one (I only noticed it about three miles after hitting the motorway) but the second one was a poxy little nail.

This has led me to believe that either A) I have been the subject of a curse by anthromorphic Ogri nails and shrapnel or B) I am doing something wrong.

As someone with enough common sense to realise that curses are the preserve of banshees and mad men I have favoured the later.  I can only assume that I picked up both these punctures while filtering through stationary traffic, which often means riding near and on the centre of the road (have I just answered my own question with that statement or am I just unlucky?)

The strange thing is the guys that fitted my tyre said that it was the sixth puncture in five days (all on motorcycles) which leads me to believe that either inanimate objects are coming to life and declaring war on motorcyclists :shock: or the local authorities are doing a piss-poor job of cleaning the roads?

Has anyone else been plagued by punctures recently or can anyone point tell me if I should try and be more patient in stationary traffic?

Cheers,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 May 2012 18:56)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

punctures

You are more likely to get punctures in the rear tyre. Also, you're more likely to get a puncture when it's wet.

If you ride over white hatchings in the road, all the crap sits in there.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

punctures

I follow/ride on the car tracks,nearside for right handers,offside for lefthanders and normal riding.Avoid the middle (let 3 wheelers pick up the crap) and the very nearside and as said hatchings.   

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Might just be unlucky

I ride hatched areas often enough, especially ones that I know other vehicles use.  You can see if they're clean or full of debris.  Last puncture before saturday I put down to riding past the tip.

Saturday I picked up the second puncture in 30k miles.  Riding in the track swept by cars' offside tyres, I didn't spot the (black) 2" screw, but heard it pickup and hammer itself in off the swing-arm.  Doh!

That curse might be the start of the DIY season...

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Favouring unlucky

Hopefully I have just been very unlucky and that will be it for a long, long time.  Will soon find out if I get anotherone in another four weeks!  I do think the first one was picked up on a hatched bit of road which by the time I'd hit the motorway had flung clear.  As for the second I'm pretty stumped to work out where it came from because I'd only ridden three miles, parked up and moved off half a mile up the road and it was flat as a pancake.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices