Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: how do you choose your tyres? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: how do you choose your tyres?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: how do you choose your tyres?

Choosing tyres is notoriously difficult. Even if you pick a set that a mate has recommended, there's no guarantee they'll work as well on your particular bike, with your riding style. Consequently plenty of riders just find a brand that works for them, and stick with it. Others, of course, experiment - continually searching for that perfect combination of grip, feel...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 May 2012 10:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
monkeybadger

Oct 04

monkeybadger says:

Another silly poll

Come on MCN no one uses just one factor to be tyres. I use a combination of mates recommendations, reviews, experience and try to put on the best rubber I can afford. Tyres nowadays are fantastic but it is one of the most important things apart from your own ability in keeping you safe on the road. Not worth scrimping on in my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Tyres

Since my club racing days I've always favoured Dunlops, but the most important criteria for me is to have a tyre that suits the style of bike and works well.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Tyres

Soemthing to fit the style of riding you do. No point getting some semi slicks if you are going to be using your bike in the snow/rain. Escpecially if you ride an enduro where you get knobblies and road tyres as well :)

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyre choice

I have always gone for a sports-touring tyre, even when I owned a Fireblade. These days the grip exceeds anything my riding skills are capable of throwing at them and you have the added advantage of longer life.  I used to run BT020s and have subsequently changed these for 021s and 023s as the updated tyres became available.  I currently have BT021s fitted to my VFR800, which I would guess are around 60-70% worn and new 023s on my FZS1000.  The Fazer is transformed on the Bridgestones when compared to the appauling Metzelers that were fitted as OE.  

When the VFR tyres are due for replacement I might go for Pilot Road 3's as these are getting great reviews from just about everybody.  And it's about time I tried something different. 

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Avon for me!

For the last 10 years plus, I've used Avon sports touring tyres and find them excellent.I've now got a Tiger 800 which Triumph say they havn't tested their tyres on, but don't worry guys, I'll do it for you. I'm suprised Triumph havn't tried matching British tyres to British bikes, but I like them and they are competitively priced.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I always buy black ones, that are round.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

bit of this and a bit of that

It's a damn good question.

I've tried loads and usually because the rear wears out or I get a puncture, I end up switching to a matched pair of a different brand. No real thought put into it, more a case of what's available and what I can afford but I've now started to apply some science to it. Yeah, well some kind of logic anyway. For instance: I had Michelin Pilot powers and thought not bad, lets go for the 2ct version only to find I wasn't really using the sticky bit at the edges and the middle was wearing out quicker. Out of the blue I tried some Metzeler Racetec Interacts K1 and K2 compounds. These, being designed for the track, take some time to warm up but stick like chile to a mexicans beard and the sides are getting used to the edges. No bravado points here, it's what they let you do but they wear out too quick, so now I'm looking for something with soft edges that cover a larger part of the tyre but still have a harder centre and that turn in like the Racetecs.

The search goes on.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

This is really an MCN Marketing Exercise...

Please forgive my cynicism, OK? There are 8 x “choices of response”. Please note 1 of the 8 is “Take MCN’s recommendations”. What this all means is that MCN isn’t really that interested in our “opinions, stories and/or explanations”. If the results were divided equally – i.e. 8 x ways – MCN could then go to the tyre marketers & claim (with entire justification) that 12+% (being roughly 1 x 8th) of MCN readers tell them that 12% of whatever their “readership” is, say the magazine & website is a powerful factor in which brand & model tyre they will buy. If, say, MCN has 2 Million viewers/readers – that equates with a fairly legitimate claim of some 255,000 potential “prime purchasers” that MCN can & does very strongly influence & deliver. Regardless of all the media variables & margin of error etc - That’s a shit-load of sets of tyres, yes?

Having said all that – I’ll play too - having multiple “big” bikes (Blackbird, ZRX 1200, Z14, Tuono & a VFR1200F that was 1 bike too far, so I sold it with only 2500K’s on it) & a vested interest in my own safety, means I have always been uber-interested in what’s out there. MarcusMarsh has discovered a great truth – it is bloody hard to go past the latest Sport-Touring Bridgestones – heaps of grip for road-riding, steady, stable & predictable & excellent in the wet. Like him – I have heard & read all sorts of good things about the Michelin Pilot Road 3’s. For example: Here in Oz, the previously “slack & sway” handling of the newish Kawasaki Ninja Z1000 SX is absolutely transformed into a good thing by simply fitting these covers & nothing else. The only outstanding question is dry-wear rate but early responses seem AOK.

After years on the BT -020’s & 021’s (& a brief but disastrous foray on BT-014’s -the OE ones on my Z14 were so hard they were dangerous when getting a wriggle on) I had a puncture & replaced a worn set with Metzler M1 Sportecs & was very pleasantly surprised by them, except for front tyre “howl”? Another puncture & I upgraded to the later Sportec M3’s which are excellent all rounders. Staying with these, when it came time to change another set on another bike, thought I’d give the then new & highly lauded Pirelli Diablo Rosso a go. I also have a tyre guy (surprise) that races a Triumph 675, does excellent business & I trust his feed-back. He advised that several guys moving from the M3 to the Rosso brought them back, complaining of inferior wet grip & an alarming propensity to “move around” when “pressing-on”. Accordingly, we re-fitted another set of M3’s... (I did check-out his stocks (twice) to ensure he wasn’t snowing me into what he had most of or wanted to be rid of – he came-up clean as a whistle on this score!)

Since then, I have started moving all my bikes over & onto the Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact which is a fabulous tyre & works really well on everything I own so far. Great wet grip, wear is excellent & “feel” & stability etc are all top class. I don’t feel any need to experiment or make any further changes. These are just perfect – for me & my bikes & riding habits & “style” – if I have any at all? I appreciate that these are really a pure sport & occasional track day tyre – but even as “all-rounders” they are truly fantastic & all-encompassing enough to be OE on all the new, big, sports Beemers too. Trust this helps? Cheers

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Cheapest

So long as they're black, circular and cheap they'll do.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

aquarius!

I think you are being a little unfair to MCN with your criticisms. I'm sure the people who go with MCNs recommendations do so with a free mind and not because they are forced to do so. I also feel MCN are qualified to give a recommendation as, when they do a comparison test, they usually do so with all the main brands and not just the 2 in your experiences. Some people don't want to, or can't afford to swap between tyre brands just to find out which is the best choice and prefer to leave it to the professionals to help them, as you did when you asked for help in choosing from your 'tyre guy'. I had Bridgestones 020s on my Sprint ST1050 as OE tyres and found they white-lined a lot when starting to wear. I swapped to Avon Storm STs and later Storm ST Ultra which handled better, gripped well in the wet (important in England) and lasted longer. My choice was also the pick of some road testers in the mags so I couldn't have been far out with my choice. And finally, they are British and cheaper. Please note that I don't have any connection to Avon and don't know if you can get them in Australia but they are worth trying.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices