Skip to content

Discuss This Rider and pillion ‘blown off bike’ by wind General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider and pillion ‘blown off bike’ by wind

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Rider and pillion ‘blown off bike’ by wind

A rider and pillion were taken to hospital after being ‘apparently blown off their bike by the wind’ on the motorway according to emergency services. Two lanes of the M4 were closed for nearly three hours after the incident at around midday on Monday near Swindon, Wiltshire. The female rider suffered a “potentially serious” head injury, ambulance crews said. Her male passenger received...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 May 2012 10:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Speedy recovery to the rider and pillion.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Hmmm...

Sounds more like they were caught out by a sudden gust of wind causing them to lose balance or go off course. I've ridden in 40mph+ winds... it only gets scary when you slow down... the less force you have pushing you along the more a secondary force will effect you. Considering racers can sometimes effectively ride in a 220mph+ wall of wind (allbeit from the front) there's little excuse for actually getting blown off...

.... unless there's another meaning to getting blown off... :huh:... ahhhh... ok! :shock:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Could happen to anyone in unlucky circumstances. I used to ride a ZZR1100, often with luggage and a passenger, a bike well  known for being susceptible to cross winds. Leaving motorway cuttings and finding a side blast of wind at, say, 80mph would quickly push the bike and require a rapid reaction to weight shift and countersteer to stop the bike being blown off track. Then just as suddenly you have to ease off the force you are using. On a long journey this requires a fair bit of physical fitness and strength. If you are not used to such senarios, then panic could induce the wrong reaction and so disaster. Include a wet road and you have a real challenge.

Reply to this Topic
icedfusion

Aug 04

icedfusion says:

Wind???

Yeah right, more like trying to avoid a frikken pothole!

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

25 mph gusts can certainly take you by surprise and dump you over.  Last fall, I thought I was going to get blown off the freeway.  Wosrt in 25 years of riding.  Even the plains states weren't this bad and you typically are riding one side of your tires the whole time, scrubbing off the chicken strips.

Was coming around a mountain range going into Los Angeles on an elevated section of I-15 going around Mt. Baldy.  Wind was so bad, I felt I was going to get blown over the edge.  I could not keep my bike in my lane.  I'd correct my steering to get back in my lane only to get forced into another lane, tires skipping across the surface insted of being planted.  The whole time, I felt as if I were going to get blown over the edge or under a lorry.   I'd have pulled over and waited it out but as I was on an overpass, it wasn't possible.  I had to stick it out and get past the mountains.  Once I got past, the wind was still and I was safe again.  Gusts had to be 40 mph and 30 mph sustained.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

To be fair

we don't know the entire details - they could have been relatively new and inexperienced (to bikes, motorways, and / or two-up riding), nor do we know what bike they were on (some are worse than others).

All we can do is hope they both get better soon, and try as far as possible not to be taken out the same way.

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Can sometimes get a bit dicey when you have a strong crosswind and go past a truck on the motorway as you go from windy to calm to windy in a short space. I've had a few occasions going over Thelwall viaduct where i've ended up using a fair bit of the lane width.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Best to go as fast as is safe. Faster speed negate the effects of cross-winds. Maybe we can use this phenomena to lobby for higher speed limits for motorbikes.

Reply to this Topic
gourmaillon

Dec 11

gourmaillon says:

i cant believe it was just because of the wind..

Reply to this Topic
harleylady1450

May 12

M4 crash

I was riding in a group of 12 bikers 5 minutes ahead of the guys that crashed. One of our party appeared to hit a patch of diesel and fortunately survived the ensuing wobble. 

Our friends who were accompanying the rider who crashed stopped at the scene and and reported a diesel spill.

The weather was bad but it wasnt that windy

The experienced harley rider and his wife are still in hospital and were lucky to survive.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices