Skip to content

Discuss This Rider and pillion ‘blown off bike’ by wind General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider and pillion ‘blown off bike’ by wind

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Rider and pillion ‘blown off bike’ by wind

A rider and pillion were taken to hospital after being ‘apparently blown off their bike by the wind’ on the motorway according to emergency services. Two lanes of the M4 were closed for nearly three hours after the incident at around midday on Monday near Swindon, Wiltshire. The female rider suffered a “potentially serious” head injury, ambulance crews said. Her male passenger received...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 May 2012 10:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Cheers Harleylady...

... & very glad that you are OK, & wish the couple a speedy recovery.

I thought the headline sounded a bit suspect... blown over by a gust of wind maybe but blown off their bike? Couple fall off bike because of diesle spill (wind may have been a factor) sounds a bit more plausible... chinese whispers in action.

Reply to this Topic
S.Leiber

Apr 07

S.Leiber says:

windy alley

Hopefully they're both recovering now, I used to ride back and forth to wales via the M4 every week on my Blackbird and on most journeys that section of motorway could throw up pretty strong side winds as gusts even when the weather seemed calm and on windy days it was pretty hairy, no idea as to why though.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

It would take a seriously strong gust to take a bike down, especially given the inherent self righting ability of a bike at speed. I'd heard of it gusting to a six (strong breeze on the Beaufort scale) on monday. Certainly not enough to take a bike down unless there was some other major outside influence. I could believe in an eight causing an accident, but not blowing riders clean off their bikes. However an eight is about 50% stronger than a six so I can't see a freak gust of an eight suddenly cropping up in monday's conditions.

Reply to this Topic
greg1948

May 06

greg1948 says:

Some years ago i was riding N towards Donnington Park on the A something or other dual carraigeway and was starting to overtake a car when we both crossed a bridge over another road. It was a gusty day but i was totally unprepared for the blast of wind that hit me from my RHS and i ended up nearly on the hard shoulder before i could regain full control. Im just glad that i wasnt actually alongside the other vehicle.

I think we will have to wait for the rider to advise the cause of this accident rather than speculate but I can assure you that a gust of wind can have a big effect on a motorcycle especially if you are not expecting it.

I was riding a GSF 750F by the way and some bikes are more affected by wind than others in my experience.

Reply to this Topic
xeikon

May 12

xeikon says:

Hi Im new here but thought this a good place to start as wind, after ice is my most hated part of riding..

I have a small capacity sportsbike and commute mostly 60 miles a day, mainly down the A1 and A19 in the North. Believe me the wind can hit you and send you flying across the cariageway. I realise weight and style of bike may matter also experience  but wind steering (yes I countersteer) happens to me frequently and im not exactly a newbie.. Basicly if wind speed (not gusts) is over 30 I prepare for anything, gust above 30 can cause the main problem though, I have found.

Most of the time I am prepared going to work, expecting the usual wind battering, wishing for calm for one day at least. So one dark February 5am start, I checked the weather and wind speed was expected to be around 25mph (30 gust) going south to Darlington, not too bad. Reaching the A1 and going past the many crosswind signs and open areas this seemed the case and cruising at 70 didnt cause any real shifting or twitching.

Then coming upto a flyover I felt an almighty very cold draught screaming up my helmet and the front of the bike was twitching like a good un, the wind was hitting the flyover with some force I thought. Going through the flyover I just felt this almighty bang and next I knew I was in the hard shoulder struggling to keep on, all the time my speed was dropping, right down to 20, in my headlights I noted the grass was flat and shimmering at hurrricane speeds. The bike felt as though there no wheels on the ground and felt as if someone was keeping a hold of the bottom of the exhaust and trying to pull the bike from under me, it struck me at the time that I felt  I was hovering and about to be hinged over and if I stopped I would just fall over.  It took me a couple of hundred yards before I regained composure and this was just before the next flyover. I went through this flyover and everything went back to normal.. for the next 10 miles no problem..

The scariest wind moment I have ever had, and thank goodness for that hard shoulder...

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

greg1948

I think the point is not what the rider says, but the headline. As you say you've been blown across the road by a strong gust of wind, and I'm sure a lot of us could tell similar tales. Last year I had to ride a 71kg moped (don't ask) over high moorland on a day when the highways agency were advising high siders to stay away from exposed routes. It was seriously windy the met office recorded gusts over 60mph in the area that day. It wasn't fun and I got blown about a lot, but I stayed on even on such a light machine. The headline, however, tells us the rider and pillion were blown *off* their bike. There's a big difference between being blown about and being blown clean off your bike. Last monday was quite windy, but not particularly gusty so while I accept the wind could have contributed to the accident I don't accept for a minute that the wind alone took the bike down.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices