Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi rubbishes retirement talk MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi rubbishes retirement talk

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi rubbishes retirement talk

Valentino Rossi has moved quickly to dismiss reports claiming the Italian star was going to retire at the end of 2012. A report in today’s Daily Telegraph claimed Rossi would retire at the end of his second season with Ducati, or even quit before the end of the campaign because of his failure to make the Desmosedici a competitive force in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 May 2012 10:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Options ??

Realistically, F1 is (or should be) a non-starter because there are certain criteria that need to be met in order to apply for, let alone, grant the super licence required to compete. Rossi meets none (although money talks, so no doubt strings could be pulled if someone wanted it enough and got dizzy seeing the £££ signs - eh Mr Ecclestone...)

Secondly, he has no experience, no form, so who would want to put him in a front running car when there are plenty of young drivers with proven form and plenty of experience from the lower formulae, as well as the current line up which is fairly rich in talent itself. Maybe there could be an option in one of the tail end cars if he brought enough money with him but that would be purely to do just that, money and exposure for the team which could generate more money. Buying a ride in other words, just to get on the grid with no hope of winning.

Finally, even in a Red Bull or McLaren, he'd get nowhere near the current drivers. Forget the Ferrari/Marlborough PR stunts, that was never 'testing for Ferrari', it was having a play. Sebatian Loeb, no slouch on tarmac, properly tested a GP2 car a couple of years ago with a view to switching and although very quick, admitted he wasn't quick enough to compete with them.

Rallying in a private team is obviously an option as he would have the backers and money, but a front running works team, no chance. Competing in those mickey-mouse gymkhana events like Monza is worlds away from the real WRC, as shown in his outings in the Rally GB. There are no credentials for a works drive.

WSB would be a good crowd draw and money spinner and promoters/sponsors dream, but would he want it? Not sure, he has a big ego and maybe only Motogp success can satisfy it. It's the pinnacle of tarmac racing so surely anything else would be a step backwards and an admission that he was no longer good enough. When you're as good as he is and a proven winner, competing just for the enjoyment of competing, often isn't enough, the enjoyment is in the success. If success is no longer achievable, then retirement usually follows.

Motogp. Never rule out completely the option of a private Yanaha or Honda team, but I wouldn't put money on it personally. A works ride with either of those two seems most unlikely. There are enough younger riders to fill those seats now. Ducati is probably still his best option of getting success, if they can overcome whatever the difficulties are with the bike - issues which seem very clouded and unclear at the moment, with all the double talk, contradiction and confusion of opinion that seems to pour forth with every press release from rider or team (Hayden to be fair has been fairly consistent and enthusiastic about the bike) Success though, can only be in the form of odd wins or podiums, title success is surely no longer realistic, although no doubt you have to believe to keep going.

If, come the end of the season, the partnership still isn't working, I can't see it continuing into 2013, even though he has stated he wants another 2 years. I think it will be retirement, because even on a private bike, he is always going to have the doubt in his head that the bike isn't on a par with the factory team and if results didn't come in the first few races, I think the belief that he could win again, along with the will and enthusiasm, would disappear quickly and for good.

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

no he`s not

casey stoner is........

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

wosi

face the truth vale is great......stoner has made him look ordinary..........i love vale he`s great,but put him on the honda as well and stoner would blitz him all the time everytime......face it casey has eclipsed vale and that`s the truth

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

and another thing

u keep saying he`s on the best bike???.....is he,how many world championships has this best bike won in the 800cc era?.....how many wins did this best bike have before stoner got on it?......i seem to remember u and all the other blinkered rossi followers saying the ducati was the best bike when casey was on it!!!!!......what is the best is casey stoner,that`s what is the best NOT THE BIKE.....as i`ve said already stoner could put a crt bike on the front row and i bet even then rossites would be saying it`s cos he`s on the best bike.....it`s simple he`s the best rider by far

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

oh yeah

if stoner failed at ducati what`s vale done?? lol lol lol......made himself look talentless compared to the previous rider that`s what

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

wosi

ps...that was a good post(even though i know u don`t like stoner).....and have u seen rossi race colin mcrae on one of the special rally circuits?

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

If Honda is supposed to be the best bike right now... just wait till they cure the chatter.

Personally i think it's the Yamaha. Look how well all the riders are doing(except Spies of course). It seems to be the most rounded bike. Stable on the brakes, smooth handling, minimal chatter. It's losing a tad coming out of the corners and onto the straight but hasn't it always? where Honda excels, Yamaha most certainly make up for it in other areas.

The shot of Stoner coming around the parabolica at Estroil showed it all, that chatter on the rear wheel was just horrible to even look at... Honda still have a long way to go.

Reply to this Topic
noshow

Oct 10

noshow says:

Rossi is the most naturally gifted motorsport racer of modern times at just 33.

He beat Loeb in a rally car earlier this year. Two years ago, not five and around Catalunyahe took a F1 Ferrari to within  0.2 sec of Raikkonen's lap record. It seems some are willing him to fail and have written him offbefore time. In a sport where the machineis a large part of the equation , as opposed to the relliance on your body in athletic gameswhere it is everything, he is at his peak.

You forgot to add  he finished 7th and 28 secs behind the race winner in his last race his chosen sport.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Wosi

Selective stats again

When Rossi drove at Catalunya it was 2010, 2 years after Raikonen. The car used different tyres in 2008, not slicks, Rossi was on full slicks. They also could run the car in full lightweight trim without the ballast required during races and official tests. There is no doubt Rossi lapped quickly in it but there is no way it was a like for like comparison. The lap record is only recorded under race conditions, the F1 drivers went quicker than that in 2008 testing.

Loeb never drove the Ferrari, he drove a Red Bull, in 2008 at an official test, therefore the car was full spec and on grooved tyres. Again, no comparison between the two times.

Rossi didn't beat Loeb overall, he crashed out in the final trying to match Loeb who was ahead. He may have beaten him in one heat but like I said, they aren't a rally, nothing like. They are mickey-mouse gymkhanas and bear as much resemblance to rallying as tiddleywinks. These events often produce wins from non-favourites, Dovi won one. Travis Pastrana beat Colin MaCrae in one - do you honestly think he'd have beaten him on a proper rally? You chose to ignore Rossi's performance on a proper rally like his 2 attempts at RallyGB.

I never said I thought WSB was a backward step. I said he may feel it is - just an opinion.
I thought I put an objective view on some options voiced by others. Nowhere is there a 'dig'
in there, just realism.

You're no different in being biased when it comes to opinions, you still blame Stoner for taking Ducati in the wrong direction.

I reckon there was one big factor behind Ducati's problems from 2009 to 2011 - The front tyres. Each year the tyres changed and the Ducati seemed to suffer more. The current new improved feeling to the Ducati has come with Bridgestone's latest tyre. Coincidence? Before that, Rossi stated there was no difference between the current bike and the GP11. Now all of a sudden they have 'feel' and a new tyre. Maybe the GP10 (Stoner rated the GP9) and GP11 weren't such bad designs, the biggest problem could have been that the Ducati suffered more than the others with the standard tyres used from 2009.

As for your last paragraph - you're looking through yellow misty eyes again you old twat. I'm not however, although I don't disagree with the first sentence - never have.

Reply to this Topic
noshow

Oct 10

noshow says:

So if it's better why is it not closer to the front ?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices