Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi rubbishes retirement talk MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi rubbishes retirement talk

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi rubbishes retirement talk

Valentino Rossi has moved quickly to dismiss reports claiming the Italian star was going to retire at the end of 2012. A report in today’s Daily Telegraph claimed Rossi would retire at the end of his second season with Ducati, or even quit before the end of the campaign because of his failure to make the Desmosedici a competitive force in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 May 2012 10:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CameronLeeds

Sep 10

CameronLeeds says:

Shawno

Rossi back in the mix?   I'm not holding my breath

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

lorenzo and rossi

The whole thing never made sense to me, and I have always suspected a subtext, ie that valentino was going to retire and do F1 or WRC or whatever, and then changed his mind, whether from love of the sport, to beat ago, because of tax problems or whatever. I even recall quotes that stoner and he were one-all and that 2009 would be the decider ; obviously he was in error about his major competitor. I understood that the fiat sponsorship was always tied/personal to valentino, so perhaps they had already written it off. I am also unsure of your timeline; I don't recall much disgruntlement going into the 2010 season, everyone including me thought valentino was favourite for the title before his injuries.

I think the challenge of fixing the ducati  could have been  one thing, but I think he also wanted to be a definite number 1 rider to get the further races and championships which I think were a more significant motivation for him in shorter order given time's winged chariot etc, and in view of  this I doubt anticipated as much fixing as has been required.

Thus far it hasn't necessarily worked out that well for anyone, unless jorge wins this year's title which will make things better for him and jarvis; he did get the money but could have got that elsewhere, obviously at ducati and maybe at honda if they had not already committed to stoner.

I think yamaha's and valentino's long term problem may be him being estranged from the company most associated with him, not good for either.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CameronLeeds

Sep 10

CameronLeeds says:

Wosi

Is Rossi still collecting his multi-million dollar pay cheques?

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

Yam3358

Every time you see an old race where Stoner is on the Ducati, you must just think 'How the f*ck?'

Yeah....what the f**k is he doing in the gravel.....50% of the time....and also...what the f**k...the results are getting steadily worse....mmm Your right with that one 3358.... 

Reply to this Topic
filly46

May 12

filly46 says:

look all this stoner worship is bullshit, he wouldnt be winning on it if he was riding it this year, FACT !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Realism

Come on Bulto whats your excuse this time?
Maybe it was someone else in the car disguised as VR eh?

Excuse ??  Excuse for what ??

I'm giving you facts that you obviously aren't aware of to try and give your over-excited claims about your heroe's F1 'testing' some perspective.

1) The article begins Rossi starts his role as an 'official Ferrari test driver' (I believe that was actually Luca Badoer) It was 2006. Which other team/driver combinations were officially testing with a 2004 car - none as what value is there in it when it is a completely different spec...

2) The car was the 2004 Ferrari - acknowledged at the time as one of the most complete F1 cars to ever take to the track, breaking records all season, Schumacher winning 12 or 13 races Barichello another 3 or 4. Only 2 or 3 were won by other cars. If ever you could claim best car (as in the best bike argument) this is it. Utter dominance. It set lap records that stood for 2 or 3 years, maybe more at some circuits.

The 2006 cars that the regular F1 drivers were testing (properly) had 30% less downforce than 2004. The engines were V8 and not V10 to reduce power by around 200bhp, probably a lot more. The tyres were hard compound as they had to last the whole race unlike 2004. In essence the FIA had changed the rules to slow the cars down from 2004.

Not surprising he looked quick in it is it? If he'd been 'officially testing' he'd have been in the same spec car as the others. Then you could compare lap times. He wasn't, you can't.

Just so that you are in no doubt, I say this, not to detract from Rossi, purely to put your barmy claims into context, as you don't acquaint yourself with facts before hysterically producing headline figures and proclaiming your idol as better than every other sportsman on the planet.

Just another PR stunt using a 2 year old car.

Just because I don't like the personailty, I have never contested Rossi's speed on a capable bike or his ability as a racer. That is in your head.

Reply to this Topic
gixerbeast

May 09

gixerbeast says:

Rossi

Rossi is the daddy FACT, it will be a sad day when he retiers. As for stoner he is a Shite pompous prick. Rossi shouldn't have moved to Ducati he should have gone to Honda.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Have to feel sorry for Hayden from that article.

It was him going in the right direction with set-up, his settings VR finally had to use, but no mention of that from Domenicali

Benny - 'doctoring' of the middle paragraph... naughty lad

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

Leemuz, its okay. I understand you're still upset that Stoner is no longer at a massive disadvantage... Any banana would be. 7th in the championship? What a joke. The retirment home is coming soon. Enjoy the 7th-10th places while you can. What a legend, fighting his heart out to get 9points. Obviously the goat.

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

Actually Leemuz, isn't it funny how you say Stoner spent 50% of his time in the gravel... Yet the statistics show that he still beat Rossi in every stat from 06-11... Yeah, funny that.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle