Skip to content

Discuss This Colin Edwards: “My two big choices were Vermeulen or Haslam” MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Colin Edwards: “My two big choices were Vermeulen or Haslam”

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Colin Edwards: “My two big choices were Vermeulen or Haslam”

Colin Edwards advised his Forward Racing MotoGP squad that Chris Vermeulen and Leon Haslam were his preferred options to replace him during next weekend’s French Grand Prix at Le Mans. The Texan will be absent from the French round after breaking his left collarbone in five places following an unlucky incident in Estoril last weekend. Edwards was cruising way off the racing...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 May 2012 15:12)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Benny

Agree with you, he needs to stay focussed on WSBK and his first win on the BMW, which can't be far away.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Yes agreed also Benny

Chris the V is supposedly back to full fitness and is a very good choice to step into this one off ride. Forward racing are very lucky to have a rider of his calibre available.

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

BMW as a factory outfit?

Given BMW's lions share of their market - would it be conceivable for BMW to run a single rider as a factory team in 2013 or 2014?  I get the development costs would be 'astronomical' and it will be interesting to see how many Satelite bikes the top CRT biike beats over the season.  Yes, I know they'll be having an off day and the CRT rider will be on the pace with a perfect setting but it's possible.  In short, it's about presence - surely the right German sponsors could lead to a potential factory project?  So yep - agree with Benny's comments - but the oppo is true if they dream whimsical, in which case - give the seat to Leon!!

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Leon would have been ok too

I've said before that Leon Haslam has more outright motorcycle experience than just about anyone you care to mention in any paddock at any level (and still only 28 ) 125, 250, 500's and a good number of superbikes, he'd be a safe arse to plonk on most bikes. I agree he should focus on WSB but a wild card in MotoGP wouldn't harm him. I think they made the right choice with Vermin ultimately and he is more deserving of a chance, Leon is already sorted.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

My two choices

Choice # 1. Go retire and enjoy your .50 slamming your collarbone.

Choice # 2.  Become a team CRT manager or something.

Another cork in the GP1 bottleneck.

Much as I have enjoyed Colin and too many to mention over the years , the +30 club are doing the sport no favours.

Cap technology at 1000cc and cap riders at 30 years of age in GP1.

They just get older, slower,more oppinionated and cumbersome.

Chris and Leon are on the cusp,so this selection is a moot point.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Agree both riders are deserving and capable. But one of Colin's two big choices is a bit of a non choice surely - BMW lawyers would have quickly pointed that out. So Colin has provided one big 'choice'.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Hehe bit harsh Bootlegger. Whilst we are at it lets have no smelly riders, no-one too tall, or too small of course or that can't speak two languages and one English of course. I don't know I think we have to stick with ability.  

Reply to this Topic
1050cc

May 09

1050cc says:

"Cap technology at 1000cc and cap riders at 30 years of age in GP1" Yey! Logan's Run could be a reality!

Reply to this Topic
Lorenzo99

Jun 10

Lorenzo99 says:

30+ Bane ?

Not sure about an age limit or cap at 30+ as some riders can still be very competative well past 30.How ever I do see where you are coming from in that some of the older guys have gone off the boil so to speak.I tottally agree with you in that some riders should step down & let some new young blood into Moto GP.

Caparosi made the right move in retiring a while back & maybe Colin should do the same.He should give Super Bikes a go,just look at the success Max Biaggi has had.However if you are a CRT team new to Moto GP then a veteran like Colin is a real asset when it comes to developing youre bike.At the end of the day the teams pay the money & they make theyre choices.

Reply to this Topic
Lorenzo99

Jun 10

Lorenzo99 says:

Technology Cap

Capping technology at 1000cc - Um ! Could cause quite a debate as Moto GP is suposed to be the pinacle of Motor Cycle racing with proto type machines.Should we Cap the technology ?

Personal opinion - People will argue to cap the technology will ruin Moto GP & the bikes should be pure prototypes used to develop road going machines.Question ? do we really need to make road going bikes any quicker ! NO.In this day & age certainly not,Im suprised the powers that be havnt baned or heavily restricted road going bikes so far with all the health & safety regulations & codes.We cannot justify the performance of 600 - 1000cc sports bikes as they are know,making them faster again is pure folly.Dont get me wrong I love fast bikes,I just cant JUSTIFY the performance for a road going vehcle.

Because of the nature of prototype racing it is extremely expensive & usually means that the team with the biggest wallet gets a considerable advantage over the rest.This also restricts the amount of teams that can afford to race & those who do race need to do well to justify the hugh amounts of money required to run a competative team.We have seen both the Kawasaki & Suzuki factory teams leave the Moto GP padock for this very reason.

I really dont think that prototype racing is very good value for money or even very exiting to be honest.For me Moto 2 is an amazing success & for Moto GP to follow suit but with 1000cc engines would be fantastic.I want to see close,competative exiting racing end off.Thats all I want,I dont care if they race 50cc scooters round the track as long as its good racing.Im not interested in the technology just the spectacle of close racing.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices