You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > gsxr 750 overheating

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

scumdeth

Nov 10

scumdeth says:

gsxr 750 overheating

Hey. I have a k3 gsxr 750 and it gets to its max temperature (107 degrees) and overheats and cuts out in traffic, i have to wait until it cools down before it starts again , it was fully serviced a month ago so all fluid levels are fine.It also happened before the service, Ive been told that it may be one of the ten sensors on the bike that maybe causing the problem .Has anyone encountered this before???? 

cheers  scumdeth 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 May 2012 20:48)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

hot

Did the person who serviced the bike know about the overheating ?

Your thermostat should be open around 80deg and in traffic (slow to static) the cooling fan should work at around 104deg.

Have you any other problems like hesitation when opening the throttle or other noises?

Is the exhaust system standard? Any mods like a power commander?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSXR 750 K3 2003?

Hi Scumdeth,good name:wacko:

As Jaffa90 says,its probably the cooling fan not coming on?check the fault codes if there's a problem like that or any other sensor the fault code dash diagnostics's will have picked it up.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
scumdeth

Nov 10

scumdeth says:

gsxr overheating

Hey Jaffa90 cheers for the reply, Yeah my mechanic knew that it had happened before, thats part of the reason i had it serviced, the cooling fan came on about 106 degrees then went to pull away just gently in heavy traffic then just cut out. had to wait till it cooled down to 60 degs.

i didnt think to look for an error code cos i was livid, it doesnt hesitate on throttle, its a yoshimura can with no other mods, no power commander.

Really appreciate your time buddy cheers

Scumdeth

Reply to this Topic
scumdeth

Nov 10

scumdeth says:

gsxr overheating

Hey KCMC, cheers for replying

Yeah the cooling fan came on but im too dumb to notice an error code, is it worth trying to make it cut out again then look for an error code, also my ignition barrel is playing up and its hard to turn the key for steering lock and ignition, is this a nightmare job too do you know????

Cheers again for replyin dude

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

hot

A faulty ignition switch can kill the bike (anybody tried to steal it?),could be a faulty temp sensor :unsure:kcmc will have more idea and follow his advice.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSXR 750 K3 2003?

Hi again

Twas a bit early in the morning,and a couple of vino's so not thinking that strait,so now looking at things i would say 105  to 110 for the fan coming on is the norm.So your bike doesn't seem to be overheat at all.So the cutting out thing must be something else,probably the ignition which you have now mentioned.If there was a fault you should get a FI flashing or ever soild,so if your not there isnt ant point in checking the fault codes,but if you want to you look at these

http://pnwriders.com/mechanical-technical/69250-gsxr-dealer-mode-fault-codes-please-sticky-thread.html

C14 - THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
C15 - ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
C21 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR
C22 - ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE SENSOR
C23 - TIPOVER SENSOR
C24 - IGNITION SIGNAL #1
C25 - IGNITION SIGNAL #2
C26 - IGNITION SIGNAL #3
C27 - IGNITION SIGNAL #4
C28 - SECONDARY THROTTLE VALVE ACTUATOR
C29 - SECONDARY THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
C30 - SECONDARY THROTTLE CONTROL UNIT
C31 - GEAR POSITION SENSOR
C32 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #1
C33 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #2
C34 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #3
C35 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #4
C41 - FUEL PUMP CONTROL SYSTEM
C42 - IGNITION SWITCH SIGNAL
C46 - EXHAUST CONTROL VALVE ACTUATOR (01-02 1000 and 06-07 600/750/1000 ONLY)

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

so

the ignition switch is in two pieces the key barrel and the electrical switch which is screwed to the bottom of the key barrel,if there is corrosion in the electrical part of the switch and after spraying with a water dispell and lube cleaning oil like say WD40 on both the switch terminals and the plug connector its no better then this can be replaced separate from the ignition key barrel so you don't need to change the hole ignition changing your key.The key barrel can be lubed with a graphite grease spray.Hope this helps

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
scumdeth

Nov 10

scumdeth says:

gsxr 750 overheating

Hey jaffa and kcmc ,cheers lads, i drove the bike today until the cooling fans came on (107 degs), drove real slow around my street then after about five minutes the engine sounded rough for a second then cut out.

There was no error code.
 the bike would start (just) on throttle and rev , but as soon as you release the throttle the bike would die.
i have to wait until it gets to about 60 degrees temp until it starts again.
This is my ultimate dream bike , but its turning into a bloody nightmare unusable piece of crap
Cheers dudes

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

fans

Cooling fan/s take a lot of power/current from your battery,it is possible that there `s too much current flowing (faulty somewhere) killing your battery.

You mention waiting until 60 deg but you may be waiting until a good battery rejuvenates itself.

I suggest you take voltage readings before start up,after start up,at 5,000rpm and more important when the fan/s kick in if possible.

Remember kcmc will have more idea.    

Reply to this Topic
scumdeth

Nov 10

scumdeth says:

gsxr overheating

Cheers jaffa . will have to get me mechanic to do that cos i havent got a clue about any of that, but that will be my next port of call. 

cheers dude.
 will keep ya informed on wat me mechanic says

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices