Skip to content

Discuss This More signatures needed on 'Motorcyclists Matter' petition General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > More signatures needed on 'Motorcyclists Matter' petition

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

More signatures needed on 'Motorcyclists Matter' petition

More of your signatures are still needed on the 'Motorcyclists Matter' petition, which hopes to get a motorcycle question on every driving theory test. The petition is now over a third of the way to the required 100,000 signatures. Sign the petition here The MCI, BMF and MAG have all publicly voiced their support for the campaign, launched by Bennetts. Whilst motorcyclists account for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 May 2012 17:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

think bike.

In my experience "Think... every other driver is trying to kill you" is more the case but every little helps so I will sign up.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Think bike?

These cagers don't think about ANYTHING when they drive other than "oh what nice music I'm listening to". They are unattentive and dangerously stupid not to mention that they contribute more higly to congestion in the cities and pollution , both of which are supposed to be getting cut down.

I say screw making the bike test harder , make the car test harder. They are in charge of machnies weighing about 5 times as much as my bike out there , it's time they started acting like it.

Car drivers should have to ride a motorcycle at least once before they can pass. an hour in heavy traffic should be a minimum and they must filter at least once. If they can't do that , it shows they don't know what bikers go through (what causes rider fatague , basic bike controls) which would not only benefit bikers but also themselves (rain , paint and drain covers are dangerous when wet) and teach them the meaning of speed (which few drivers seem to know about). If they can't ride something 1/5th of the size of a car , why should they get to drive a car? You've got to work your way up.

This will not only have the affect of increasing safety on the roads but also make people more inclined to ride which is less polluting. There would be fewer traffic jams and fewer deaths of pedestrians since bikes are more manoverable than care.

If car drivers are ok to do that , I would be quite happy to sit 3 tests.

But we know that's never gonna happen , don't we?

Reply to this Topic
lgoldup

Sep 11

lgoldup says:

Done

Been done for ages, spread the word around on facebook, youtube, twitter, anything you use!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Give it up

It's been at 30K for a month and it's too little anyway.  Let it go.

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

I signed it

I'm a good boy, I am ;-)

Reply to this Topic
DBF80

Aug 10

DBF80 says:

Jimbo

Why exactly should a car driver have to ride a bike before they get a licence? What about people that are scared of bikes, have no intention of ever riding one etc etc. They can't have a car licence simply because they don't want to ever get on a bike. Get real pal.

I'm all over asking younger drivers to go through a similar process as the bike test. One rule for everyone type of thing. Either make the car test like the bike test or vice versa as it is unfair currently (or just dangerous that youngsters can just go out and get something a bit too quick - notwithstanding insurance etc)

I do agree though that it's never going to happen...

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

what about people who just want a cheap way to get to work then have to pay through the nose for training because some incompetent car drivers think its cool to crash into bikes. If they don't want to do the ride on a bike they can do hazard perception from a bikers point of view.

That seems fair right?

After all , I had to to do my hazard perception from a car's point of view.

The point is , folks don't know what is dangerous and what is safe. It seems even instructors don't. How many times have you seen a car driver do a lifesaver? I've yet to see one.

I's like to see a fairer system just like you but then again I'd also like pigs to fly.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

I Would Like

I would like to see the heads of cagers that kill motorcyclists, pedal cyclists, and pedestrians stuck on pikes alongside the road, but know it will not happen, due to tyranny of the masses of sheeple.

“Cager thinking” is of course an oxymoron.

Reply to this Topic
DBF80

Aug 10

DBF80 says:

Jimbo

Look, I've signed the petition and I think more should be done to make drivers aware of the risks that bikers face. I'm not sure there's many drivers that think it's cool to crash into bikes though, definitely one or two though (another story from a filtering argument).

I like the idea to mix the hazard awareness between car and bike point of view in addition to bike awareness questions. It's a much better idea than making them ride a bike that they don't want to. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices