Skip to content

Discuss This James Ellison keeps Paul Bird ride for Le Mans MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > James Ellison keeps Paul Bird ride for Le Mans

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

James Ellison keeps Paul Bird ride for Le Mans

James Ellison will be on board the Paul Bird Motorsport Aprilia ART machine at next weekend’s French MotoGP round, despite threats to replace him with BSB title contender Shane Byrne. Bird had intimated during the recent Oulton Park BSB round that he would put Byrne on the bike to get his impressions after Ellison’s return to MotoGP has been blighted by...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 May 2012 10:34)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Good

Glad James has kept the ride for now at least. By all accounts its a bike in need of serious development and probably could do with additional testing input from other riders to attain perspective, especially as PB is talking about a 2 rider team next season. But it would have been hugely unfair of PBM to just drop James. Im sure he is putting in 100% and things will improve in time.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Agree Wosideg, made his point well and he knows Ellison will be riding to the max in France now. Wouldn't let him baby sit my kids but no mug Birdy.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

parish

he tested the bike as it was shown on bbc at weekend gone, he said the bike felt nice!! not like when rode the gsvr and could not hardly speak due to lack of breath, my point is ellison is gettin made look bad by this nasty package, thrown together not like the aspar effort.

Reply to this Topic
djtinsley

Aug 06

djtinsley says:

Idiot

I appreciate that Birdy is putting his own money into this team and therefore has the right to say what he thinks, but... What an idiot. Does he really think this will have the desired effect - will James really be motivated by this? Why would any rider want to be a part of his team in the future? Why would any potential sponsor want to be associated with the team (or manufacturer - Kawasaki in WSB?)? Why would anyone want to work in the team in what must be a fairly hostile environment (I presume the mechanics feel some loyalty to James)? I am not sure if he thinks people are impressed with his outbursts, but I just think they make him sound immature.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

wosi

yes you are so right, picked up an mcn last night, he said maybe ellison should concentrate on riding the bike instead of tweeting away ect ect , personally out of all the crt teams you would'nt be suprised this one pulling out now would you?? i know they cant pull out as easy as that as dorna will cash in but how much money can one team wasted really, crazy to think ellison rode for tech 3 years back too, just shame he dont need, get back to bsb.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

ow01fogno1

I'd trust Stavros' opinion on a bike about as much as I'd trust Sharon Matthews with my kids. Firstly the man hasn't ridden in Grands Prix since 1985 and secondly when he did ride he only managed a single podium and that was at a race where all the top riders refused to ride. So how does that qualify him as an expert on the modern GP bike?

Reply to this Topic
djtinsley

Aug 06

djtinsley says:

Jollyboy

"I'd trust Stavros' opinion on a bike about as much as I'd trust Sharon Matthews with my kids" - LOL!

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Interesting Reporting

Reading this story seems to have put a different spin on the press release than others have. For a start when Bird talked about putting Byrne on the bike to get a second opinion only a sensationalist would take it as a threat to replace Ellison with Byrne (oh, hang on this is MCN I'm reading). Most read it that Bird was talking about Byrne doing some testing. Don't forget that the rules allow for nominated test riders and Byrne and Easton have been duly nominated. OK so that might be a bit of a veiled threat in there, but not to the extent you are suggesting. 

The one phrase in the release that I find significant is this. "Our concentration is now on getting the technical help we need." In other words the team do not have the technical capability required. Quite an admission to make.

Bear in mind that, three races in, other riders and teams seem to be managing to work round the chatter issues cause mostly by the tyres. Yes I think it needs some adaptation from the rider, but the team need to set the bike up right too. The rider can give feedback to his crew, but it's up to the crew to act upon that feedback. For all Bird's bravado it sounds like Borley is saying that the team are struggling to get the bike working and are seeking outside help. That's the real news here.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

who gives a shit

It wont matter who rides a CRT bike, unless it's raining they've got no chance. Motogp is a joke, unless you're on a factory Honda/Yamaha you can't win.
It's going to be Stoner 1st Lorenzo 2nd and Pedrosa 3rd. Foregone conclusion.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Whether Paul Bird

is right or not to berate Ellison, the way he's gone about it is appalling. Too much charlie

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices