Skip to content

Discuss This James Ellison keeps Paul Bird ride for Le Mans MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > James Ellison keeps Paul Bird ride for Le Mans

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

James Ellison keeps Paul Bird ride for Le Mans

James Ellison will be on board the Paul Bird Motorsport Aprilia ART machine at next weekend’s French MotoGP round, despite threats to replace him with BSB title contender Shane Byrne. Bird had intimated during the recent Oulton Park BSB round that he would put Byrne on the bike to get his impressions after Ellison’s return to MotoGP has been blighted by...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 May 2012 10:34)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Also interesting

to note how well Syko and the KRT are doing nowadays

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

tris123

And why is that a joke? Most top level motorsport is exactly the same. It's a rare season that isn't dominated by one or two manufacturers in MotoGP, but that's a good thing. It's a result of the development race between the manufacturers.

In 2003 Honda won all but one race (Ducati took the other). Honda sometimes took the top four places that year and on one occasion the top five, but that didn't make it a bad season. There was some damn good racing that year. Honda's domination was so complete that they believed anybody could win on their bike and that they didn't need to pay a star rider to win. Of course the following year Yamaha won more than half the races, after having only scored a single podium in 2003.

The point being that it doesn't matter what bike the winner is riding, it's the racing that counts. 2003 saw four different race winners, who cares if three of them were on Hondas? 

Sure CRT bikes don't stand a chance this year, but if Dorna and the FIM stick with the idea then you could see some interesting developments as a result of CRT over the coming years.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Benny

The point I'm making is that the team aren't as good as they say they are. Many credit Bird with single handedly turning Kawasaki into a force in WSB, but he couldn't have had a successful team without the support of the factory. Now he's running what amounts to a customer bike he's after help from the factory.

Basically his ego is bigger than the team's ability. I don't care if it's Ellison, Byrne or anybody else on that bike they will probably finish last ART bike unless Aprilia take pity on them and offer factory support. And I can't see that happening. If you were going to offer factory support would you give it to the customer who is slowest or the one who is fastest?

Oh and Kawasaki seem to be doing just fine without Bird.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Bennyhedgehog

Wow, some post! It looked like a done deal going off Birds very strong comments in MCN this week. Even if Ellison does continue to ride for the team he will surely be heavily demotivated by what has been said.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Losing it

Benny you're losing it mate. You're arguing with somebody who is agreeing with you.

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Benny

Paul Bird is a true supporter of Bike Racing. And perhaps as there is less corporate money around then in previous years people like Paul Bird become all the more important.

I don't believe Paul Bird has been convicted of anything.

Bike racing needs people like him, in the same way that in the 70's and 80's Mal Carter put so much into the sport.

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

Robtz/bennybirdhog

We had someone like him ,He is in prison he was the chap that fired Chris Walker from the pr1mo Kawasaki team,Have you read Alan carters book btw,Mal was a character thats for sure' a friend of mine spannered for Ron and Mal.but I am not so sure that we need a modern day version especially drug related  types,Birdy does seem to court some strange press maybe coincidence or bad luck eh ?He does seem a bid arrogant to say the least. but here is an Idea Ellison tested Walkers whatsthepoint Yamaha a couple of seasons back and after a few laps of Cadwell answered all their dreams and said it was the swinging arm, silly old Chris if only He had spotted that after a season on it,oddly it was still pants the following season ,maybe Chris could return the favour now for James and put him right now he has had a resurgence and James has lost his ability to waste petrol and finish a race,there is a story here be nice on the way up as you might meet again on the way down,Birdy and Ellison teamwork !maybe they deserve each other,I take it Benny you wont be on Birdy's legal team and your not having chicken for sunday lunch,but you do put a new slant on birdwatching

Reply to this Topic
Parkway70

Jun 09

Parkway70 says:

Talk is cheap..

Fuck me...Stig and Bennie...its a bit like the Les Dawson and Mary Whitehouse show!..Birdy `may` be many things but one thing is is not is shy of putting a few much needed quid into road racing..Benny I can`t work you out man ,you sound like some kind of Deep South Preacher..

Reply to this Topic
noshow

Oct 10

noshow says:

Does anyone have bird's mobile number ? I hear Charlie Sheen wants to catch up for coffee

Reply to this Topic
YamahaRacer

May 12

YamahaRacer says:

Three races and future decided dont be so silly.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices