Skip to content

General Sports Tourers - Am I the last one? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Sports Tourers - Am I the last one?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RedMist77

May 12

RedMist77 says:

Sports Tourers - Am I the last one?

Am I the only one who doesnt want 'Head in the Clouds' GS lookalikes or 'Battleship heavy' Tourers to go places?

What ever happened to travelling light?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 May 2012 10:41)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Sports touries

decline or transition form VFRs and Sprints to Tigers, Multistradas and Crosstours?
You can still have...a Busa, CBR600F, Sprint, VFR, ZZR, some Beemers
We've lost...Blackbird, Duke ST range, Sprint RS style, ThunderAce, ZX12, R1200S, SV1000, Falco/Futura, ZZR6

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

your not the only one

dont worry your not the only one most bikes I have owned have been sports tourers  and currently own a beautiful futura

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. media1  
  2. media1 (1)  
Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Going German

Charley B and that scottish guy  have a lot to answer for everyone thinks because you ride a bike and do tours your a SAS man on holiday. Cracks me up everything is extreme including the bastardization of bikes just look at what Honda have done to the VFR.   

I saw a guy smaller than me clambering on something GS height the other day. Common sense gone right out of the window. Bikes need to be practical and useable and not half land-rovers.

Maybe this downturn we are experiancing might just make one or two of the manufacturers to consider mpg. And then we might see a range of bikes that have reasonable performance and a reasonable range. 

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

marketing meets machismo

A GS needs to be 100 foot tall with the full overland pack, yet will never see anything more testing than the odd wet leaf.
A sportsbike needs to be able to qualify for a WSB grid and have not one extra atom of air in its tyres for a rider who wobbles around the ringroad to the burgervan (double sausage, bacon and egg bap you say?)
A custom needs to have so many catalogue parts on it that you may as well have started with a 50 year old siezed moped.

Reply to this Topic
RedMist77

May 12

RedMist77 says:

Sports Tourers - RIP?

'What they have done to the VFR'  Unbelievable.:wacko:

But The Sprint 1050 ST into the GT - What  a travesty, :upset:its like riding a hostess trolley.

Interesting the list of those we have lost.

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

RedMist77

Totally agree with you....Why not travel light. The whole concept of biking for me is to be minimalist.

If you want to take the kitchen sink plus silver cutlery on your travels then take the bloody camper van and have done with it. I often ride upto North Wales for a three or four day trip and get all the essentials into a topbox and thats it.

Also we all now seem to have the notion that we  need at least a litre bike with over a 100 bhp if we want to have any fun on a bike whether touring or just going out for a weekend blast. To be honest its all bollocks

I now have two bikes again and one of them is a CBR125, you may laugh at that but I have just as much fun on that as I do on the XJR. The little CBR has made me wonder Why I still have the XJR even though its a joy to ride it is a total over kill if I am honest.

It goes to show that bigger is not always better, yes a 125 is too small for many trips but to pop out for a few hours on a Sunday morning its good cheap fun.

Reply to this Topic
Yamark69

Feb 12

Yamark69 says:

Tourers

It pisses me off when you get the Charlie and the bloke from star wars wannabes who kit their GS out with all the kit and panniers and then hold everyone up when they try to filter at the Blackwall. Surely a backpack will suffice for their sandwiches

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

sports tourers

Tricky,

I am a sportsbike rider, don't really do long tours although would like to do the occasional day ride out in comfort.

I have been thinking about changing my bike for sometime now and have considered many bikes, triumph tiger 1050,800 BMW GS.

I want a comfortable sports /tourer bike, without all the panniers. There are a few that fit the bill but simply just look too old, so now I think I have found the one for me at long last, in the middle, Kawasaki z1000sx in green.

looking forward to a test ride.:smile

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

the Bobber concept

for custom bikes.
You need a frame (hardtail will do), forks, wheels, rear break, a torquey enough engine, transmission, tank and oil tank, seat, bars, controls, light if you must.
That'll do.
HP figures? who cares
TC, ABS, slipper clutch? Whhhaaattt?
Luggage? Well I have a pocket......or can get throw-overs

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

8 years ago

went touring on vfr750 corker of a bike, had 60litre bag bungeed to back of bike with tent and all my wordly goods for a 3 month trip around parts of eourope, you realise when you are travelling like this that you dont need most of the crap we attach ourselves to, 8,000 miles of biking magic,

for a good read ted simon jupiters travels,

travelled the world in early 70's on a triumph,

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices