You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Low speed rear bumper nudge

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Snozzeltoff

Aug 08

Snozzeltoff says:

Low speed rear bumper nudge

Travelling at 25mph, the car in front of me made a last ditch decision to enter a turn right box to a garage because their "fuel light came on suddenly". This turning box started about 2-300 yards back (see picture) but they entered at the last possible moment, half in and half out and braked hard (last arrow just out of picture on road). I had glanced at my mirror to see if the cars behind were going to come alongside me - when I glanced up I had just enough time to get to 10mph before running into the bumper. 

Minor scrape to the bumper but the whole fairing of my bike is ruined and could have front fork damage (pictures attached). Originally they said they wouldn't claim but now they are. I feel they didn't leave me enough stopping space as the decision was so last minute to turn in. They didn't look to see me.

Can I claim 50/50 on the insurance or will I basically be held at fault regardless of their poor manoeuvre?

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 May 2012 17:26)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

accident

If you or anybody runs into the back of another vehicle it`s your/there fault.

That minor scrape to the bumper is a new one plus what looks like some damage above it.

I hope your fully comp because your damage could cost more.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Sorry

but I have to agree with Jaffa, no matter why the car in front brakes hard to a halt, all following traffic should be travelling at 'a speed at which they can stop in the distance they can see to be safe'.

When teaching learners I used to refer to 'dead elephants' on the road ahead, why? because it's the last thing you would expect to see on a road in England.

Expect the unexpected, that way when it does happen you're ready for it & can stop in time.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Agreed

either your distance was too close, or speed too fast, or both, even though their manouevre was a bit daft (though bear in mind there are people who'll cause a "crash for cash", ie purposely do something daft precisely to claim insurance).

If the damage / cost to the car isn't too stupid, you could offer to pay it out of your pocket (pick up a second-hand bumper and offer to pay the fitting, it may be cheaper than going through insurance).  Your damage, even without fucked forks, could be far higher.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices